1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Just learning Physics

1. Oct 11, 2011 #1
    SO today,, I got 27/60 on a test... I know it's sad...
    it's so shocking that
    I really want to put and dedicate on learning physics now. But I just don't know how to but besides studying... Actually.. I just don't know how to study physics....
    Just how do you study or learn physics?? and i am talking about AP Physics B in highschool..
    And yes, It's all to improve my grade..

P.S Sorry, If i post this on a wrong section,, Kind of a newbie here '>';;

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2011 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Hard to say. Why did you fail? What are you having trouble with?

4. Oct 11, 2011 #3
    I failed forces... Now i am learning work and energies

5. Oct 11, 2011 #4

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Alright. What were you having trouble with specifically? Any particular aspect of the material? The math? The concepts? Definitions? Applying it to problems?

6. Oct 11, 2011 #5
    Concepts and applying to problems.. Those types of questions are the ones that always get me on the tests.

7. Oct 11, 2011 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

A few tips:

- Make a lot of practice problems. They'll enhance your understanding.
    - Work hard.
    - Get somebody to tutor you to explain you the concepts.

8. Oct 11, 2011 #7
    Are you drawing out every single force problem you do? Much harder to make mistakes when you draw out the problem.

9. Oct 11, 2011 #8
    Yes I do draw them. But it's like I get confused how to solve it after drawing

10. Oct 11, 2011 #9
    AH !! so sorry again for posting in wrong section!!!

11. Oct 12, 2011 #10
    teh book Thinking Physics by Lewis Carroll Epstein helped me a lot.

12. Oct 12, 2011 #11
    Oh. Same here. I read physics too at high school and despite how much I study, I always fall into a stupid C+ or B- barely.

13. Oct 12, 2011 #12
    This is essential to becoming more adept in the field. I found that when I drew pictures depicting physics based problems, I could visualize and understand how to complete the problem more accurately. I did that throughout the physics courses I've taken, and on tests. Eventually lead me to taking art classes, but the point on the matter is, start drawing out those problems!

Reason people fail is because they may be more visually inclined so they need that diagram in order to make sense of it all in my opinion.

Other than that, I would study using all the senses (not necessarily smell, but the others) write in the book (professors told us not to, but it beat writing down notes), and talking to yourself about the concepts you've just read and explaining those same concepts to yourself.

If you can explain it to yourself, that means you understood it and will remember it forever, if you cannot, you didn't understand it. If you don't understand it, re-read it a bit more thoroughly noting phrasing patterns, etc...

14. Oct 12, 2011 #13
    Hm those are all good ideas!!

Are there any sites where I can practice applying to a actual problem for certain a physics topic???

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook