Send Messages w/ ZoneAlarm Caught DNS Packet

• Thread starter Persefone
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about someone receiving a network chatter message from their zonealarm firewall and wanting to know how to send a similar message. The other person explains that it is just normal communication between routers and that it is hard to determine the specific details without using a sniffer. They also mention that zonealarm is not necessary and can cause unnecessary paranoia.
Persefone
I just got a message sent from someone with a message my zonealarm caught in the DNS(performance-check-via-SAVIS2THIS-IS_HARMLESS-It_is_a_Traceroute_or_Ping_packet.BGP-route-control.data393.net)
I find it fun and anyone can give me a hint as to how can i send a message like that via internet so that someone who is using zonealarm like me can see it also ??
Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
Thats just network chatter. Routers chat with each other, to exchange routing tables and enable the most efficient paths through a network to differening destination networks.

But since when did I have my router connected with someone's in the US ?

Ok, forget about that,
do you know how I can send such a message ? I'd really like to. Thanks

They dont, your router does, or even your ISP router, BGP (same as IGP's such as OSPF, IS-IS and EIGRP) uses Multicast addresses to chat to other routers, your box probably was listening on one of the addresses... without using a sniffer its hard to tell what the packet your personal firewall picked up...

Zonealarm really is a waste of time, and typically just makes people paranoid because it pops up potential 'attacks' like what you posted above... Which is in fact just network chatter

1. What is ZoneAlarm's "Send Messages w/ ZoneAlarm Caught DNS Packet" feature?

ZoneAlarm's "Send Messages w/ ZoneAlarm Caught DNS Packet" feature is a security feature that is designed to protect your computer from potential threats. It monitors all incoming and outgoing DNS packets to ensure that they are legitimate and have not been tampered with.

2. How does "Send Messages w/ ZoneAlarm Caught DNS Packet" work?

When an application on your computer sends a DNS request, ZoneAlarm's "Send Messages w/ ZoneAlarm Caught DNS Packet" feature intercepts the request and checks it against a list of known malicious DNS servers. If the request is flagged as suspicious, ZoneAlarm will block the request and send a warning message to the user.

3. Do I need to enable "Send Messages w/ ZoneAlarm Caught DNS Packet"?

By default, the "Send Messages w/ ZoneAlarm Caught DNS Packet" feature is enabled in ZoneAlarm. However, if you have disabled it or if you are using a different firewall, you may need to manually enable it to use this security feature.

4. Can I customize the settings for "Send Messages w/ ZoneAlarm Caught DNS Packet"?

Yes, you can customize the settings for "Send Messages w/ ZoneAlarm Caught DNS Packet" in the ZoneAlarm control panel. You can choose which types of DNS packets you want to be alerted about, and you can also add trusted DNS servers to a whitelist.

5. Will "Send Messages w/ ZoneAlarm Caught DNS Packet" slow down my internet connection?

No, "Send Messages w/ ZoneAlarm Caught DNS Packet" should not noticeably affect your internet connection speed. However, if you experience any performance issues, you can adjust the settings to minimize the impact on your internet speed.