1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Just plain dont know what to do or how to even start

1. Sep 20, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Well i've been working on these problems for the last 4 hours and still nothing...and out of despairation i turn to you all.

It has to do with Canonical transformations of the Hamiltonian:
    1) Consider a type 1 generating function (F(q,Q,t)) where the following must be satisfied
    [tex]
    p = \frac{\partial{F}}{\partial{q}} \
    P = -\frac{\partial{F}}{\partial{Q}} \
    [/tex]
    show that for a single degree of freedom the possion bracket [Q,P] = 1 (aka canonical) now ive been able to show it is 0 obviously wrong and yes it makes use of many different forms of differentials any help on this would help

2) For Two particles interact via a central potential V(r1-r2) the H is
    [tex]
    H= \frac{p_1^2}{2m_1}+\frac{p_2^2}{2m_2}+V(r_1-r_2)
    [/tex]

[tex]
    Q = \frac{m_1 r_1+m_2 r_2}{M = m_1+m_2}, P = p_1+p_2
    [/tex]

[tex]
    q= r_1 - r_2, \ p = \frac{m_2 p_1-m_1 p_2}{M}
    [/tex]

this one im really not sure about, however i think the transformation is type 3 so that may help doing that what does anyone think? any help is always awesome.

show that the transformation is canonical

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]
    [Q,P] = \frac{\partial{Q}}{\partial{q}}\frac{\partial{P}}{\partial{p}}-\frac{\partial{P}}{\partial{q}}\frac{\partial{Q}}{\partial{p}}
    [/tex]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2007
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?