HANK YOU All - 2 Years of Learning Differential Forms & Exterior Algebra

In summary, the speaker is a retired professor of mechanical engineering who has been struggling to learn advanced math topics for the past two years. They have asked many questions and sometimes lost their temper, but through persistence and help from others, they have gained a better understanding and appreciation for the subject. They express gratitude to the community for their support and encouragement.
observer1
No question this time. Just a simple THANK YOU

For almost two years years now, I have been struggling to learn: differential forms, exterior algebra, calculus on manifolds, Lie Algebra, Lie Groups.

My math background was very deficient: I am a 55 year old retired (a good life) professor of mechanical engineering. I have always felt that by learning this, I could put my engineering knowledge on a more structured footing. It would not help me do engineering better (I think it is wise to do must mechanical engineering in the way one learned it), but it would help me see things.

I have asked many questions here. On some occasions I lost my temper (I apologize for this) and stopped posting and took up a new alias. And then I'd ask more questions -- really simple, stupid questions.

Well, after two years, I now know how much I do not know. And I see the picture. The books are making a lot of sense now. I am no longer hung up on language.

I wish I could cross post this to the Algebra group.

Anyway: THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU everyone. You guys are great! And patient!

t

Likes DennisN, Amrator, 1oldman2 and 6 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for being a member! Spread the word!

Likes 1oldman2, StevieTNZ and gracy

1. What is Differential Forms and Exterior Algebra?

Differential forms and exterior algebra are mathematical concepts used to study and analyze geometric objects such as curves, surfaces, and higher dimensional spaces. They provide a powerful framework for understanding multivariable calculus and differential equations.

2. How is Differential Forms and Exterior Algebra useful in scientific research?

Differential forms and exterior algebra have many applications in various fields of science and engineering, including physics, computer graphics, and signal processing. They can be used to simplify complex mathematical problems and provide a more intuitive understanding of geometric phenomena.

3. What are the benefits of learning Differential Forms and Exterior Algebra?

Learning Differential Forms and Exterior Algebra can improve problem-solving skills and provide a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts. It can also help in understanding advanced topics in physics and engineering.

4. Is prior knowledge of mathematics required to learn Differential Forms and Exterior Algebra?

Some familiarity with basic calculus and linear algebra is helpful, but not required, to learn Differential Forms and Exterior Algebra. However, a strong foundation in mathematics can make the learning process easier.

5. How long does it take to learn Differential Forms and Exterior Algebra?

The time it takes to learn Differential Forms and Exterior Algebra varies depending on individual learning abilities and prior knowledge of mathematics. With dedicated study and practice, one can gain a basic understanding in a few months, but mastery may take longer.