Just some basic question on e=mc2

• Thread starter jeremynull
  • Start date
  • Tags
    E=mc2
In summary, the conversation discusses the equations E = mc^2 and m = E/(c^2) which relate energy and matter. It is also mentioned that the equation E2 = p2c2 + m02c4 is important when considering particles' masses and energies, and that the term "mass" can be used to refer to both rest mass (m0) and effective mass (me). It is important not to confuse these two quantities, as m0 is a Lorentz invariant while me varies between observers. The conversation concludes by clarifying the equation for energy and discussing the confusion it caused.
jeremynull
I know that any time energy is generated, you can use the equation in the form of E = mc^2.

Also, that energy becoming matter can be described as m = E/(c^2).

But, going as those are, is it also assumable that you could say c^2 = m/E? In other words, would the speed of light in a perfect vacuum represent all the ratios of mass to energy that each element can exist, up to a certain point in natural occurrence? What I mean is, we have stable points at which an element is represented on the periodic table. So if the equation holds, and mass isn't being converted to energy or visa-versa, wouldn't this form of the equation represent its resting state, or in other words, each element's stable state?

I was just wondering, because I haven't seen anybody talk about it much or relate to the equation in that way..

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to be a bit careful about terminology here, because the word "mass" is most commonly used to describe the mass which a particle would be measured to have when stationary. This "rest mass" is sometimes denoted m0, and probably the more important equation when considering particles' masses and energies is

E2 = p2c2 + m02c4

This relates the total energy E of a particle to its rest mass m0 and (the magnitude of) its momentum p, thus incorporating its kinetic energy as well. When the particle is stationary, the first term on the right vanishes and it reduces to E=m0c2. But in the case of a "massless" particle such as a photon, m0 = 0 and the equation then reduces to another well-known formula

E = pc​

If you measure the velocity of a particle of energy E and momentum p, you will indeed find that, in terms of the Newtonian formula

p = mev​

the "effective" mass me of the particle appears to be larger than m0 - in fact

me = E/c2 = m0γ​

where

γ = 1/√(1 - v2/c2)​

It's important not to get these two quantities confused. The more fundamental and important is m0 - this is a Lorentz invariant, which means that observers in all frames of reference will agree on its value if they measure it, whereas me varies between observers as it depends directly on how fast the particle is traveling in each one's own frame of reference.

Oh - I see now. The equation for energy is just a conversion equation, so the way I arranged it in the latter doesn't actually mean anything.

And then so the equation that I was windering about was the one that all speeds or frames of reference would agree on the object as having the same value.

Thanks - I'm not a physics guy, so this had me confused for a while.

1. What does the equation e=mc2 mean?

The equation e=mc2, also known as the mass-energy equivalence formula, states that energy (e) is equal to mass (m) multiplied by the speed of light squared (c2). This means that mass and energy are interchangeable and can be converted into one another.

2. Who came up with the equation e=mc2?

The equation was first proposed by Albert Einstein in his theory of special relativity in 1905. However, it was not until 1911 that he fully developed the equation in its famous form.

3. How is the equation e=mc2 used in science?

The equation has had a huge impact on the field of physics and has been used in many different areas of science, including nuclear energy, nuclear weapons, and space exploration. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles at high speeds and in the creation of the universe.

4. Is the equation e=mc2 always accurate?

While the equation is a fundamental principle of physics and has been proven to be accurate in many experiments, it is not a universal law. It does not apply to situations involving gravitational forces or objects with extremely high mass or energy.

5. Can the equation e=mc2 be applied to everyday life?

While the equation is often associated with complex scientific concepts, it can also be applied to everyday life. For example, the energy released from burning a log can be calculated using e=mc2. It also plays a role in medical imaging and radiation therapy.