1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Just some language

1. Sep 29, 2004 #1

Alkatran

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Which statements are true?

A) A vector can have zero magnitude if one of its components is not zero.
    B) If a + b = c and a2 + b2 = c2, then the angle between a and b is 90°.
    C) Two vectors having different magnitudes can be combined to give a vector sum of zero.
    D) The magnitude of the difference between two vectors can be greater than the magnitude of at least one of the vectors.
    E) If a + b = c and a2 + b2 < c2, then the angle between a and b is between 0° and 90°.
    F) Three vectors which do not lie in the same plane can never give a vector sum of zero.
    G) If a + b = c and a + b = c, then the angle between a and b is 180°.

I've got: FTFTTTF

I just need some help translating what these questions mean
    A: Components are the x,y,z components. Magnitude has to be > 0
    B: Is it a length or a vector? I know that since they're perpendicular two vectors squared WILL equal...
    C: Obviously if one is shorter than the other it can't undo the other completely
    D: Opposite directions. True
    E: I'm not sure. But I think this is true... unless than angle can be greater than 90?
    F: True
    G: In the question the first a + b = c is bold and the second is italics, that's the only difference between them. I highly doubt it change their meaning, other than that I think G is false.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2004 #2

Alkatran

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Got it.

Why can't I delete the post?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?