Calculating Average Force and Mass: Weightlifting and Shelf-Moving Examples

• Thread starter defetey
  • Start date
In summary, for the first question, the average force exerted on the weight is 2500N and the mass of the weight can be found using F=ma. For the second question, the box moved 0.73m with a force of 8.1N and work of 5.9J.
defetey
A world champion weight-lifter does 5000J of work lifting a weight from the floor to a height of 2m. What is the average force exerted on the weight? What is the mass of the weight?

So I got the first part, it's 2500N. But how would I find the mass given just that much information?

And for this question: A store clerk moved a 4.4kg box of soap without acceleration along a shelf by pushing it with a horizontal force of magnitude 8.1N. If the employee did 5.9J of work on the box, how far did the box move?

So the answer is 0.73m, which is gotten by dividing 5.9 by 8.1 (5.9=8.1*d). But am I just supposed to assume the force used is 8.1N or is it certain?

Physics news on Phys.org
defetey said:
A world champion weight-lifter does 5000J of work lifting a weight from the floor to a height of 2m. What is the average force exerted on the weight? What is the mass of the weight?

So I got the first part, it's 2500N. But how would I find the mass given just that much information?

And for this question: A store clerk moved a 4.4kg box of soap without acceleration along a shelf by pushing it with a horizontal force of magnitude 8.1N. If the employee did 5.9J of work on the box, how far did the box move?

So the answer is 0.73m, which is gotten by dividing 5.9 by 8.1 (5.9=8.1*d). But am I just supposed to assume the force used is 8.1N or is it certain?

On the first one, use F=ma, with the only a being g.

On the second one, yeah, the force is given as 8.1N, and it was held through the distance.

I would approach these questions by first identifying the relevant equations and principles involved. In the first question, we are dealing with work, force, and height. The equation for work is W = Fd, where W is the work done, F is the force applied, and d is the distance moved. In this case, we are given the work done (5000J) and the height (2m), so we can rearrange the equation to solve for the force: F = W/d. Plugging in the values, we get F = 5000J/2m = 2500N. This is the average force exerted on the weight.

To find the mass of the weight, we can use Newton's Second Law, which states that force is equal to mass times acceleration (F = ma). Since the weight is being lifted at a constant velocity, there is no acceleration, so the equation becomes F = mg, where g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8m/s^2). Rearranging the equation, we get m = F/g. Plugging in the value for the force (2500N) and the acceleration due to gravity (9.8m/s^2), we get m = 2500N/9.8m/s^2 = 255.1kg. Therefore, the mass of the weight is 255.1kg.

In the second question, we are dealing with work, force, and distance. The equation for work is the same as before (W = Fd), but in this case, we are given the work (5.9J) and the force (8.1N). We can rearrange the equation to solve for the distance: d = W/F. Plugging in the values, we get d = 5.9J/8.1N = 0.73m. Therefore, the box moved a distance of 0.73m.

As for the question about assuming the force used, it is important to note that the given force (8.1N) is the magnitude of the horizontal force applied. In order to find the distance moved, we need to use the magnitude of the force, not its direction. Therefore, we can assume that the force used is 8.1N without taking into account its direction.

What is the purpose of "Just some simple questions"?

The purpose of this questionnaire is to gather information and insights from individuals on a specific topic or subject.

How long will it take to complete "Just some simple questions"?

The length of time to complete this questionnaire will vary depending on the number of questions and the speed of the respondent. On average, it should take no more than 10-15 minutes to complete.

Will my responses be kept confidential?

Yes, all responses will be kept confidential. Your answers will only be used for research purposes and will not be shared with any third parties.

Can I skip questions or come back to them later?

Yes, you can skip questions and come back to them later. However, it is recommended to answer all questions to provide the most accurate and complete information.

What will happen to my data after completing "Just some simple questions"?

Your data will be analyzed and used for research purposes. It may also be included in a report or publication, but all identifying information will be removed to ensure confidentiality.