1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Just To Double Check

1. Jan 25, 2005 #1
    Just two questions that are a small part of my ISU for physics. For this year we had to teach ourselves the unit on electricity and magnetism.

1. A bird stands on an electric tranmission line carrying 1200A. The line has a [itex]1.0\times10^{-5} \Omega[/itex] resistance per metre and the bird's feet are 30cm apart. What voltage does the bird feel.

2. What is the force per metre on a wirde carrying a 2.50A current when perpendicular to a 1.10T magenetic field.

For question one, I was first thinking that since the bird isn't grounded, it shouldn't really feel anything, but since the question probably wouldn't be as easy as that, i guess i'd have to calculate something.

Formula i used was just V=IR
    [itex]V = (1200 A)(1.0\times10^{-5} \Omega)(3.0\times10^{-1}m)= 3.6 \times 10^{-3} V

That's what i got as a final answer

For question two, our books didn't really mention anything about formulas with the tesla unit so i guess we had to research it.

I found a formula that was :

[itex]B=\frac {F} {IL} \vspace[/itex]

B is 1.10T
    I is 2.50 A
    L i think would be 1m since they wanted the force per metre.
    F is the unkown

So in the end i got [itex]F = BI

= 1.10T \times 2.50A =2.75 N/m

Just need some feedback on those questions.
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2005 #2
    good job :tongue:
    i didn't check your number, but you have applied the formulas correctly
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?