Just took my midterm, can someone explain a problem I missed

In summary: So in summary, the problem involves finding the velocity and tension of a box attached to a pulley, given its initial position and using energy conservation and equations of motion. The final values for the velocity and tension are 5.66 m/s and 26.8 N, respectively.
nperk7288
I just took my Physics Midterm and there was one problem on the test that I had no clue on and just left blank. Here's the problem:
A 6.0 kg box is attached to a rope that is wound around a pulley of radius 0.150 m and mass 10.0 kg. The box is initially at rest and is suspended 3.0 m above the ground. There is no slipping between the rope and the pulley. Given this information, find both the velocity of the box and the tension of the rope the moment before the box contacts the ground.
Anyone have any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Energy conservation will do for the velocity. Initial potential energy will be converted to kinetic energy of rotation for the pulley and translation for the box. The angular velocity of the pulley and linear velocity of the box are related by the pulley radius.

Since you need to also find the tension, you could use the velocity change to find the linear acceleration of the box and use that to find the net force on the box and deduce the tension.

Alternatively, you can write equations of motion for the box and angular motion for the pulley, both of which involve the unklnown tension. The accelerations are related by the radius. Solve simultaneous equations to find the tension and the acceleration. Use the acceleration to find the final velocity.

Give it a try.

Not sure if I did what you said correctly or not but here's what I've gotten:
mgh = 1/2(Iω2) + 1/2(mv2)
Then by substituting in v/r = ω I got v = 5.66 m/s
After that I found the acceleration to be 5.34 m/s2 and found the Force downward to be 32 N. Since the force without the rope would be 58.8 N I figured the tension to be 26.8 N
Is this correct?

nperk7288 said:
Not sure if I did what you said correctly or not but here's what I've gotten:
mgh = 1/2(Iω2) + 1/2(mv2)
Then by substituting in v/r = ω I got v = 5.66 m/s
After that I found the acceleration to be 5.34 m/s2 and found the Force downward to be 32 N. Since the force without the rope would be 58.8 N I figured the tension to be 26.8 N
Is this correct?
Looks good to me.

1. How can I improve my understanding of the problem I missed on my midterm?

One way to improve your understanding is to review the material and notes related to the problem. Try to identify any key concepts or equations that you may have missed. You can also seek help from your classmates, teaching assistant, or professor for clarification.

2. Can someone explain the problem in a different way?

Absolutely! Sometimes hearing a problem explained in a different way can help you understand it better. You can reach out to your classmates or teaching assistant for alternative explanations. You can also try looking for online resources or videos that explain the topic in a different way.

3. What resources can I use to better understand the problem?

There are many resources available to help you better understand the problem. You can use your textbook, class notes, online resources, or even reach out to your professor or teaching assistant for further explanation. Additionally, you can try practicing similar problems to reinforce your understanding.

4. Is it common to miss problems on a midterm?

It is completely normal to miss problems on a midterm. Midterms are designed to assess your understanding of the material, and it is common for students to make mistakes. What is important is that you use your mistakes as a learning opportunity and work towards improving your understanding for future exams.

5. Will missing this problem affect my overall grade?

The impact of missing one problem on your overall grade will depend on the weight of the problem and how well you did on the rest of the exam. It is important to remember that one mistake does not define your entire performance. Focus on understanding the material and doing well on future assignments and exams.