1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Just Transferred into Physics

1. Dec 16, 2007 #1
    Hi all, i just transferred into physics from chem eng. I'm at a school that has good ties with some large tech companies like intel, amd, nvidia, ibm... i would have elected to transfer into ECE (electrical/computer engeering) but my marks weren't high enough. i figure physics would give a good platform for my interests and perhaps give me a different approach/experience to problem solving. my interests lie in VLSI design and most recently TFTs (thin film transistors). I'm wondering if anyone's been through the route of BSc physics ---> MASc (i think is equiv. to MSc) or MEng ECE? wondering if someone could share their (or someone they know) experience.

i've looked into it in some detail. I figure i try to take what ECE courses i can that correspond to my interests (though it will be really difficult as they're quite stingy non-engineering students taking engineering courses) and take some catchup courses prior to masters. I figure i should get involved somehow with perhaps IEEE or the ASIC design club (though i think they are now defunct). Are there better ways of say beefing up my resume? i'm thinking of picking up HDL's and something like perl/python and see how far i can learn it. do employers pick up on that sort of initiative?

I don't know much about TFTs but it seems like there's still some good potential in the field to grow. Anyone know about the job prospects in this field?

sorry, i know it's a lot of questions but i hope someone with some relations to this could advise a bit. thanks a million!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2007 #2
    You should do the solid-state physics courses from your own department as well as the solid state device courses from EE, if they have such options at your school. Practical work in EE requires considerable familiarity with circuits and also skills like programming. Theoretical courses in signal processing might also be useful (even to a physicist). You could take courses on basic circuit analysis, microelectronics, VLSI design/fabrication, etc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?