Can Physics Lead to a Career in VLSI and TFT Technology?

• Thread starter Larphraulen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: You could also try to get involved in projects or research related to your interests, such as joining IEEE or the ASIC design club. Learning HDLs and programming languages like Perl and Python can also be beneficial for your resume. The job prospects for TFTs seem to be promising, but it's always a good idea to do some research and stay updated on the current trends in the field. Overall, it's important to gain a strong understanding of both physics and engineering concepts and to gain practical experience in order to succeed in your career goals.
Larphraulen
Hi all, i just transferred into physics from chem eng. I'm at a school that has good ties with some large tech companies like intel, amd, nvidia, ibm... i would have elected to transfer into ECE (electrical/computer engeering) but my marks weren't high enough. i figure physics would give a good platform for my interests and perhaps give me a different approach/experience to problem solving. my interests lie in VLSI design and most recently TFTs (thin film transistors). I'm wondering if anyone's been through the route of BSc physics ---> MASc (i think is equiv. to MSc) or MEng ECE? wondering if someone could share their (or someone they know) experience.

i've looked into it in some detail. I figure i try to take what ECE courses i can that correspond to my interests (though it will be really difficult as they're quite stingy non-engineering students taking engineering courses) and take some catchup courses prior to masters. I figure i should get involved somehow with perhaps IEEE or the ASIC design club (though i think they are now defunct). Are there better ways of say beefing up my resume? I'm thinking of picking up HDL's and something like perl/python and see how far i can learn it. do employers pick up on that sort of initiative?

I don't know much about TFTs but it seems like there's still some good potential in the field to grow. Anyone know about the job prospects in this field?

sorry, i know it's a lot of questions but i hope someone with some relations to this could advise a bit. thanks a million!

Physics news on Phys.org
You should do the solid-state physics courses from your own department as well as the solid state device courses from EE, if they have such options at your school. Practical work in EE requires considerable familiarity with circuits and also skills like programming. Theoretical courses in signal processing might also be useful (even to a physicist). You could take courses on basic circuit analysis, microelectronics, VLSI design/fabrication, etc.

Hello and welcome to the world of physics! It sounds like you have a lot of exciting opportunities ahead of you, especially with your interest in VLSI design and TFTs. I can understand why you chose to transfer into physics as it can provide a strong foundation for understanding the underlying principles behind these technologies.

As for your question about pursuing a MASc or MEng in ECE, I think it could be a great option for you. Many physicists go on to pursue advanced degrees in engineering, and it can open up even more career opportunities for you. It's great that you are already thinking about taking relevant ECE courses and getting involved in organizations like IEEE or the ASIC design club. Employers definitely value initiative and a diverse skill set, so learning HDLs and programming languages like perl/python could definitely make you stand out.

In terms of job prospects in the TFT field, it's always a good idea to do some research and network with professionals in the industry. You could also consider reaching out to professors or researchers at your school who specialize in this area to learn more about potential job opportunities. It's also important to keep in mind that the job market is constantly evolving, so it's important to stay updated on industry trends and developments.

Overall, it seems like you have a solid plan in place and are taking the necessary steps to set yourself up for success in your chosen field. Keep exploring your interests and networking with professionals, and I'm sure you will find great opportunities in the future. Best of luck!

1. What is "Just Transferred into Physics"?

"Just Transferred into Physics" refers to the process of transferring from one academic program or major into the field of physics. This could be at the undergraduate or graduate level, and may involve transferring from a different field of science or a completely different field altogether.

2. How do I transfer into the field of physics?

The specific process for transferring into physics will vary depending on your current academic status and the requirements of the institution you are transferring to. Generally, it involves meeting with an academic advisor, submitting an application, and possibly completing prerequisite courses. It is important to research and communicate with the institution you are interested in transferring to for specific instructions.

3. What are the benefits of transferring into physics?

Transferring into physics can open up a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as research, technology, engineering, and education. Additionally, studying physics can develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills that are highly valued in many industries.

4. Can I transfer into physics if I have no background in the subject?

Yes, it is possible to transfer into physics even if you have no prior background in the subject. However, you may be required to complete prerequisite courses to catch up on foundational knowledge before beginning more advanced coursework. It is important to discuss your specific situation with an academic advisor to determine the best path for your transfer.

5. Are there any tips for a successful transfer into physics?

Some tips for a successful transfer into physics include researching and communicating with the institution you wish to transfer to, staying organized and on top of application deadlines and requirements, and seeking out resources such as academic advisors and tutoring services to help with the transition. It is also important to have a strong passion and dedication for the subject to be successful in the field of physics.