Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Just watching the users over a period of time

1. Sep 1, 2006 #1
    I notice that we have about a ~10:1 guest:registered user ratio, usually. 471:45 as I type this, in fact.

Why don't people register, so we can talk about interesting stuff? =(

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2006 #2

Alkatran

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Most people enjoy reading the posts more than making a post.

Think opposite of trolls. You don't hear about them because they don't speak up.

4. Sep 1, 2006 #3
    Ah. I'm not used to thinking of lurkers, since I'm so used to trolls(I come from a community that tends to spawn trolls by the hundreds =()

5. Sep 2, 2006 #4

Danger

Gold Member

It was the other way around for me. I found this site by accident through Google when I was using a library computer to try finding a hovercraft formula. It was so interesting that I started poking around. Some high-school girl had a question about something, and I tried to answer. Then I found out that you had to register in order to post. So I registered. Then, I found out that the site is maintained through donations, so I got an internet hookup and became a supporter. Best investment that I've ever made in my life. Even if I never personally benefitted from it ( and I do... to an incredible extent), it would be worth it for the good that it does to science education. If something like this had existed when I was a kid, I probably would have finished school. I only hope that my meager input can make that difference to someone else.
    By the bye, my first encounter with PF was my very first time being on the net.

6. Sep 2, 2006 #5
    I think that's what they're supposed to do. Reading through the forums instead of bombarding them with duplicate topics/questions. This is a good thing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?