Just what exactly does this cursive word say?

1. jcsd
  2. brewnog

brewnog 2,792
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Love?

What else could it look like?

3. Moonbear

Moonbear 12,265
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It says you need to work on your penmanship if you have to ask us what your own writing says. :tongue2:

4. Look closer! It can be 3 words. In white:

Foul
    Force
    Love

5. brewnog

brewnog 2,792
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't see the ambiguity, I'm pretty sure that most people would agree that it says "love". Out of context, I think that quite a bit of imagination is needed to see the other two, no?

6. Not really. When I actually first wrote the word, it was "force."

7. honestrosewater

honestrosewater 2,329
    Gold Member

I see the other letters but not the 'f'. It isn't connected and doesn't extend below the base line. I think it could be an 'l' or 'b'. If you're going to stretch it, that 'o' could be a very sloppy 'a', giving 'lace' and 'face'.

8. JamesU

JamesU 745
    Gold Member

it is not an 'f'

9. Danger

Danger 9,878
    Gold Member

By extrapolating the first letter below that baseline, I did manage to come up with 'force' and 'foul'. It took a long time to think of doing that, though.

10. JamesU

JamesU 745
    Gold Member

do you know what a cursive 'F' looks like?

to help you learn cursive:

[​IMG]

11. Moonbear

Moonbear 12,265
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ooh, we should get a hand-writing analyst in here. :biggrin: That's still a sorry excuse for an F. I only saw "love" as well, but knew that couldn't be what the word really was based on your question. This is why we make students type everything now; it used to be very painful grading hand-written assignments due to poor penmanship.

12. Haha, I thought my cursive was atrocious (which I gave up because so many teachers teased me about it), and even I can't see an 'f.' If anything, it's an 'l,' maybe a 'b.' Seriously, how can you put up with your writing if even you can find three ambiguities? For the past year I've been writing in print, and although it's like starting where I left off in third grade, people can atleast read what I write.

13. Now you are being twits.

The first letter of the new image could easily pass for an f. There is an inward bump, which anyone who writes or reads a lot of hastily-written cursive understands is enough for a cusp. You are stupidly nitpicking when you could be basking in the sun of the glorious four-and-five-letter double-ambiguity.

14. And, you know, it almost says louie. It's so close to saying louie.

15. Evo

Staff: Mentor

The second example could be a "b" but an "f" is stretching it.

16. BicycleTree: Even though I've written in cursive for about eleven years, I couldn't see an 'f' there, and I still barely can after you tell me. You need to drag you bottom cusp farther down, and I'm not nitpicking--it's what distinguishes a 'b' between an 'f.' And I'm not a "twit" because I think that either.

17. For the sake of creativity, I guess we can imagine it's a 'f' though. (Even though it's not.)

18. Moonbear

Moonbear 12,265
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you don't want your handwriting nitpicked, don't post it in a thread about the ambiguities of your handwriting. Nobody is being a twit for elaborating on what you yourself pointed out...the handwriting is ambiguous. A lowercase f, in cursive, has a loop below the baseline, your loop stops right at the baseline. That's a lowercase b at best.

Do you have trouble re-reading your notes when you go back to them? If not, then you can read your own writing well enough for note-taking, so that's fine. If even you can't read it, then you need to change something. When you have to write for someone else (i.e., on an exam), I suggest either printing or working on your penmanship so it will be legible to others, otherwise they're going to want to know why your physics exams are covered with love notes. :tongue2:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?