Just wondering if this has merit

• Thread starter Poy
  • Start date
In summary, as an object approaches the speed of light, its clock appears to slow down and one spatial dimension shortens in the direction of travel, while all other dimensions remain unchanged. This would not affect the extra dimensions from string theory.
Poy
I was just think about relativity, and as you move faster how distances and the amount of time seems to change as you speed up. This means that all dimensions of time (including the extra 6 from string theory that are extremely small dimensions) would seem to change as you move faster. so, I was wondering if something is moving fast enough the extra 6 space dimensions, ussually two small to be seen, might change in size relative to you, making them large enough to be visible? Correct me if I am wrong about any of the above thoughts, including any misunderstandings I have of rletivity. Thanks for input.

Physics news on Phys.org
An interesting thought. It would seem unlikely that the extra dimensions expand from the observer's viewpoint, as travel at relativistic speeds will tend to make spatial dimensions smaller, not larger. At near-light speeds, lengths contract and time dilates.

However, I recall reading once that in some models of string theory, one or more of the extra dimensions might be an extra time dimension. If this is correct, then perhaps time dilation will cause this extra dimension to expand. But that's pure speculation, of course. I don't even know what that would mean in terms of observing or measuring the change.

When you speed up to almost light speed, the stationary observer sees your clock appearing to slow down and ONE length dimension shorten, namely the one in the direction you're going. All other spatial dimensions are unchanged, including the six extra dimensions from string theory. As far as your concerned, everything is fine.

That makes sense.

What does "merit" mean in this context?

Merit refers to the value or worth of something, particularly in terms of its validity or importance.

How can I determine if something has merit?

The best way to determine if something has merit is to conduct thorough research and analysis, gather evidence and data, and seek input and feedback from experts in the field.

Can something have partial merit?

Yes, something can have partial merit if it has some value or validity, but also has flaws or limitations that need to be addressed or considered.

Is merit subjective or objective?

The concept of merit can be both subjective and objective. It may be influenced by personal opinions and biases, but can also be evaluated based on objective criteria and evidence.

Why is it important to consider the merit of something?

Considering the merit of something is important because it helps us make informed decisions, ensures the accuracy and credibility of information, and promotes critical thinking and analysis.