Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Justice for Victims of Agent Orange

1. Aug 7, 2004 #1
    To: The U.S. President and others
    AGENT ORANGE, THE CHEMICAL, has killed, is still killing, and causing great suffering to over three million people in Vietnam.

PLEASE HELP THEM BY SIGNING THIS PETITION on http://www.petitiononline.com/AOVN/petition.html
    We welcome and support the Civil Action brought by the Vietnam Association of Victims of Agent Orange/Dioxin, and three Vietnamese victims. The documents have been submitted to a court in New York, on behalf of all affected by the chemicals used by the American Forces in their War on Vietnam.

This will be the first ever such action by Vietnamese victims of Agent Orange in any court of law.

We call upon the U.S. President, Government and the Chemical Companies named as defendants in the documents, to accept their responsibilities for the damage caused by their actions and products, and to pay full compensation to the vict

Sincerely,

Last edited: Aug 15, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2004 #2
    Yep, I have signed. Such savage use of chemical weapons must be properly addressed at some point.

4. Aug 7, 2004 #3
    Call for help

Agent Orange is still being blamed for birth defects more than 30 years since its use
    Researchers reported at the conference that a new study shows extremely high levels of dioxin in the blood of residents of Bien Hoa, a highly sprayed area near a former U.S. air base, more than 30 years after spraying ended.

Some of the highest levels -- reaching 206 times greater than average -- were found in people born well after spraying stopped, indicating exposure to persistent dioxin residues in soil and water, the researchers said.

Dioxin, one of the most poisonous chemicals created by man, is also one of the most persistent pollutants.

Vietnam's cash-strapped government has not been able to clean up the dioxin pollution in Bien Hoa or resettle the area's 20,000 residents.

At the conference Vice Minister Nguyen talked of the need to clear the area of toxins.

"The objective is to bring dioxin contamination across Vietnam down to internationally acceptable levels and do all that can be done to mitigate the health effects," Nguyen said.

"The United States waged chemical warfare against Vietnam 30 years ago. Cooperation with the U.S. is very necessary."

Anne Sassaman of the U.S. National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences told the conference the talks over the next two days would deal with setting research priorities.

Collaboration started between the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and Vietnam would likely result in scientists in Vietnam being able to evaluate and define the extent of the residual hazard posed by Agent Orange and dioxin, she added.

Vietnam Veterans of America, which has lobbied for years to get compensation for its members, said it was anxious to see research move ahead in Vietnam.

Attached Files:

5. Aug 7, 2004 #4
    Agent Orange was not a weapon.

6. Aug 7, 2004 #5

kat

Well, I'm glad to see that they are having their day in court, but how does a petition help their court case? I'm feeling a bit dubious about the intentions of the petition. It would seem that it would have no relevancy whatsovever and that someone may instead be harvesting information and email addresses.

7. Aug 7, 2004 #6
    If the Vietnamese are having their day in court, what is the purpose of the petition in the first place? If the petition is being served to those involved in a trial, is it even legal?

8. Aug 10, 2004 #7
    The purpose of this petition is collecting at least 300.000 signatures before December 2004.This petition will be sent to American government .
    This program was created by Len Aldis, the president of Britain-Vietnam Friendship Society.He himself has seen the terrible effects of AGENT ORANGE on many Vietnamese in many generations. He wrote this petition to call the supports and notice of people around the world.
    By signing this petition, you can show that you one of those who support the AGENT ORANGE affected Vietnamese.The petition can be consider as the voice of peace-lovers .
    We close the past, but we can't forget it, and we need to do something to heal the sorrow.

9. Aug 10, 2004 #8
    I wish that you can see the sorrow in an Agent orange affected child.Many children in Vietnam have been being stolen their childhood, their life by Agent orange .You can search "Agent orange " on Google to see what happened.
    Vietnam has tried a lot to heal the sorrow of the war. It has been 29 years since the war ended, but the Agent orange still exists as the ghost of war.
    It has killed, is still killing, and causing great suffering to over three million people in Vietnam...
    Let the conscience say...

Last edited: Aug 11, 2004
  10. Aug 10, 2004 #9
    **********PICTURE OF AN AGENT ORANGE AFFECTED CHILD********

"This is Le Minh Dat in Quang Tri ,Vietnam.
    This photo was taken in 1998, when Dat was 13 years old.People said that he couldn't understand anything because his brain had "died".But I felt he still understood ! He lay on the bed, I had taken a lot of photos and looked at him for a long time.When I was going to leave, his eyes traced me and give his hand to me..."
    Written by Philip Jones Griffiths,photographer.
    The author, of "Agent orange “collateral damage” in Vietnam"

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2004
  11. Aug 10, 2004 #10

Support them do what?

How is that? No one is petitioning against a war.

heal the sorrow? Sir, you will do better in your cause by not using cliches.

12. Aug 10, 2004 #11
    What exactly would I be signing? I personally would need proof that the chemical companies have any resposibility. I also don't know what "full compensation" means.

right now, Im leaning towards not signing, and I am very sympathetic to the plight of innocents afflicted by war.

13. Aug 10, 2004 #12

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

You do realize Kennedy, Johnson, and Nixon are all dead, correct?

14. Aug 10, 2004 #13
    The President is a representative of his country. You cannot said that what have been done earlier by another president is not the responsibility of the ones that follow him. When they accept to become presidents they certainly do not become guilty of the bad things done by other presidents but they do have de responsibility to “correct” what has been done. In this case there is no way to correct what have been done but at least they can help these people. You cannot accept the presidency ignoring the effects of history, that is the effects that will have what you do and the effects of what is already done by others. So, in another words, when he speaks of the president's responsibilities he is talking about US responsibilities.

15. Aug 10, 2004 #14

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Does the president of Vietnam have a responsibility because the VC disguised themselves as civilians, resulting in many innocent civilian deaths?

16. Aug 10, 2004 #15
    That’s not my point. I am just saying that the US president does have a responsibility not matter what. After all the US army was the one that used Orange Agent. But answering to your question, yes… the Vietnam president have the responsibility to protect the well-being of Vietnam citizens and also the responsibility to demand justice for them , just as the US president have a responsibility with American citizens. I am not speaking of who is guilty, and by saying that US have a responsibility with those people I am not excluding other entities that also have the responsibility of helping them.

17. Aug 10, 2004 #16

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Is there any statute of limitations on how long a given nation's president owes reparations to the victims of actions taken by a former regime? Should the current president of Japan officially apologize and make payments to POW's who were tortured during WWII? Remember that this petition is asking for monetary compensation. The money that would be used it taxpayer money. Are the people paying taxes today responsible for actions taken by their nation's military several decades ago?

18. Aug 11, 2004 #17
    George W. owes us an apology then for Clinton lying to us about Monica Lewinsky.

Sorry, but those that actually committed the acts are the only ones that are guilty.

19. Aug 11, 2004 #18
    To do what? Why is it that the answer to this question is so hard to come by?

20. Aug 11, 2004 #19
    So:
    • Germany should cease paying off Israel for WW2?
    • The USA should re-zone all native American reservations and such for development?
    • Australia should re-zone all native Australian reservations and such for development?
    • Swiss banks should tell Jewish families who were harmed during WW2 to go for a long walk of a short pier?
    • The USA should ignore the fact that Agent Orange still causes deformity and death in Vietnam?

21. Aug 11, 2004 #20
    1. We call Vietnam war the people 's war.The Vietnamese civilians fight for themselves, for their country not for VC.If U.S were under attack in their land someday, would the American cilvilian fight for their country ?
    2. Agent Orange was sprayed from the air plane, so could it distinguish VC among the Vietnamese civilians ? Agent Orange is a mass-killer, not only one generation but also many others..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?