K Energy & Momentum: Driving Force or Lost Heat?

In summary: Ps there is always a frame of reference where the total momentum is zero. It's called the centre of momentum frame. In that frame you cannot lose momentum.In summary, the momentum of a system remains unchanged but individual moments decreases always.
mark2142
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...y-in-inelastic-collisions.311037/post-2182192
If I understand correctly mathematically the momentum of the system remains unchanged but individual momentums decreases always. In an inelastic collision the momentum always decreases and so is the KE. KE is due to momentum of the body. Whenever this happens the lost energy goes into heat or thermal energy of the body.

When a force is applied internally the momentum changes and then so is KE. This lost KE goes to heat.
So is momentum driving the body forward or KE?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mark2142 said:
When a force is applied internally the momentum changes and then so is KE. This lost KE goes to heat.
The equation of motion is
[tex]F=\frac{dp}{dt}=\frac{dp}{dE}\frac{dE}{dt}=\frac{\sqrt{2m}}{2\sqrt{E}}\frac{dE}{dt}[/tex]
We can express force by dp/dt and by dE/dt. They are equivalent.

[EDIT] For 3D case
[tex]\mathbf{F}=\frac{d\mathbf{p}}{dt}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\mathbf{p}\cdot\mathbf{F}}{p}=\frac{\sqrt{2m}}{2\sqrt{E}}\frac{dE}{dt}[/tex]

Last edited:
  • Wow
Likes Delta2
mark2142 said:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...y-in-inelastic-collisions.311037/post-2182192
If I understand correctly mathematically the momentum of the system remains unchanged but individual momentums decreases always.
Momentum is a vector and the total momentum of the system remains constant. The magnitude of the momentum of an object may increase or decrease or stay the same in a collision.
mark2142 said:
In an inelastic collision the momentum always decreases and so is the KE.
No. There is always a loss of KE, but no momentum is lost.
mark2142 said:
KE is due to momentum of the body.
True, but KE is a scalar, whereas momentum is a vector.
mark2142 said:
Neither. By Newton's first law a body moves uniformly unless acted on by an unbalanced external force. Such a force changes the momentum and may or may not change the KE. E.g. a particle moving uniformly in a circle has continuously changing (direction of) momentum but constant KE.

Likes anuttarasammyak and Delta2
mark2142 said:
If I understand correctly mathematically the momentum of the system remains unchanged but individual momentums decreases always
The total momentum of a system remains unchanged (constant) both in magnitude and direction. I am not sure what exactly you mean by "individual momentum" but if the momentum of a subsystem decreases, then the momentum of another subsystem must increase so that the total momentum of the whole system remains unchanged.

PeroK said:
The magnitude of the momentum of an object may increase or decrease or stay the same in a collision.
Ok. I thought both body looses momentum because both looses velocity. So are you saying that the velocities are exchanged between the bodies in other words momentum (mass is constant) but the KE decreases and gets converted to heat? But KE is associated to velocity? I don't get it.
Also ##KE=\frac{p^2}{2m}##. So if momentums are exchanged so has to KE?

Last edited:
mark2142 said:
Ok. I thought both body looses momentum because both looses velocity. So are you saying that the velocities are exchanged between the bodies in other words momentum (mass is constant) but the KE decreases and gets converted to heat? But KE is associated to velocity? I don't get it.
Also ##KE=\frac{p^2}{2m}##. So if momentums are exchanged so has to KE?
You need to write out 100 times:

Momentum is a vector
Momentum is a vector
Momentum is a vector ...

Likes nasu
Ps there is always a frame of reference where the total momentum is zero. It's called the centre of momentum frame. In that frame you cannot lose momentum.

What you are talking about is the magnitude of momentum of each particle/object. But, the magnitude of the momentum is not the same thing as momentum

Momentum is a vector.

Let us see a system made of N>>1 similar particles of mass m and its total momentum is zero which is conserved during the process of course. Let the particles do elastic collision. The conservation laws are
[tex]\sum_{i=1}^N \mathbf{p_i}=0[/tex]
[tex]\sum_{i=1}^N \mathbf{p_i}^2=2mE=const.[/tex]
where elastic collisions take place.
State 1:
[tex]\mathbf{p}_1=-\mathbf{p}_2\ where\
|\mathbf{p}_1|=|\mathbf{p}_2|=\sqrt{mE}[/tex]
and
[tex]p_3=p_4=p_5=...=p_N=0[/tex]
Only two particles have non zero momentum.
State 2:
[tex]p_1=p_2=p_3=...=p_N=\sqrt{\frac{2mE}{N}}[/tex]
All the particle have equal magnitude of momentum where they cancel as vectors. There are a lot of other cases. After many collisions we may feel that both state 1 and state 2 are NOT NATURAL distributions of momentum/energy among N particles. With some postulates we can get statistical solution of the distribution.

This example may give you a suggestion on your concern of KE decrease, e.g. starting from initial state 1, the two particles would lose energy and momentum in magnitude by collisions thus the state of the system transfers to others e.g. state 2.

Last edited:
PeroK said:
Ps there is always a frame of reference where the total momentum is zero. It's called the center of momentum frame. In that frame you cannot lose momentum.
I get it. The momentum of the COM (mass) cannot change without the external force. So even though the sum of the momentums can't change the individual momentum can? And so the KE of the particles loses into heat energy?

mark2142 said:
I get it. The momentum of the COM cannot change without the external force. So even though the sum of the momentums can't change the individual momentum can? And so the KE of the particles loses into heat energy?
The individual particles may individually lose or gain KE even in an elastic collision. But, the total (vector) momentum remains the same.

One classic example of an elastic collision is a particle of mass ##m## with velocity ##\vec v## hitting another particle of mass ##m## at rest. The first particle stops and the second particle moves off with the original velocity ##\vec v##. All KE is transferred from one particle to another.

If we look at that collision from the centre of momentum frame, then the particles are initially moving towards each other with velocities ##\pm \vec v/2##. And, after the collision, each particle has retained all it KE and reversed its direction of motion.

In the inelastic version, each particle would reverse its direction but lose some KE. The total momentum remains zero, but the speed of each particle would be less after the collision than it was before.

PeroK said:
The total momentum remains zero,
In which? In the inelastic version of this👇
PeroK said:
One classic example of an elastic collision is a particle of mass with velocity hitting another particle of mass at rest.

mark2142 said:
In which? In the inelastic version of this👇
Always, elastic and inelastic. Momentum is always conserved (in a closed system) as a consequence of Newton's third law.

KE is only conserved when no energy is lost to other forms of energy (like sound or internal heat energy).

PeroK said:
Always, elastic and inelastic. Momentum is always conserved (in a closed system) as a consequence of Newton's third law.

KE is only conserved when no energy is lost to other forms of energy (like sound or internal heat energy).
Thank you for sparing some time for me. I get it now.

Likes berkeman

1. What is "K Energy" and how does it relate to momentum?

K Energy, also known as kinetic energy, is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is directly related to momentum, as momentum is a measure of an object's motion and is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity.

2. Is K Energy a driving force or lost heat?

K Energy can be both a driving force and lost heat, depending on the situation. When an object is in motion, its kinetic energy is a driving force that can cause changes in the object's surroundings. However, when an object collides with another object, some of its kinetic energy may be converted into heat energy, resulting in a loss of kinetic energy.

3. How is K Energy and momentum conserved in a closed system?

In a closed system, the total amount of K Energy and momentum remains constant. This means that if one object gains kinetic energy and momentum, another object in the system must lose an equal amount of kinetic energy and momentum. This is known as the law of conservation of energy and momentum.

4. Can K Energy and momentum be transferred between objects?

Yes, K Energy and momentum can be transferred between objects through various interactions such as collisions or forces acting on the objects. This transfer of energy and momentum is what causes changes in an object's motion.

5. How does K Energy and momentum affect the motion of an object?

K Energy and momentum play a crucial role in determining the motion of an object. The more kinetic energy and momentum an object has, the faster it will be moving and the more difficult it will be to change its motion. Additionally, the direction of an object's momentum will determine the direction of its motion.