Find Height of Elevator at T_1: K&K Q1.17

• Thread starter Radarithm
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves an elevator starting from the ground with uniform speed, a child dropping a marble through the floor at time T_1, and the marble falling with uniform acceleration and hitting the ground at time T_1 + T_2. Using the equations for position and velocity, the height of the elevator at time T_1 can be found by setting the third equation to zero and solving for the initial height. The answer, given as a hint in the problem, is 39.2 meters. However, it is important to note the times correctly and consider the initial velocity of the marble when solving the problem.
Radarithm
Gold Member

Homework Statement

At t = 0, an elevator departs from the ground with uniform speed. At time [itex]T_1[/itex] a child drops a marble through the floor. The marble falls with uniform acceleration g = 9.8 m/s2, and hits the ground [itex]T_2[/itex] seconds later. Find the height of the elevator at time [itex]T_1[/itex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{dv}{dt}=g[/tex]
[tex]\dot{y}=g\int dt[/tex]
[tex]y=g\int_{T_1}^{T_2}t dt=g\left(\frac{T_2^2-T_1^2}{2}\right)+y_0[/tex]
[tex]y=g\int_0^{T_2}t dt=\frac{gT_2^2}{2}+y_0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I was sure of the fact that if I set the 3rd equation above to equal zero, I could solve for the initial height; the problem seemed confusing at first but is actually quite trivial. I turned to the back of the book to look for the answer (and I was sure that I was correct), but I got a hint; if [itex]T_1=T_2=4 s[/itex] then [itex]h=39.2 m[/itex]
The 3rd equation gave me zero, and the fourth one gave me 79.4 m or [itex]2h[/itex]. I was able to use this to solve for the velocity of the elevator, but that doesn't seem to help much. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong; the height at [itex]T_1[/itex] is [itex]y_0[/itex]. Can someone help me out? This should have been so much easier. I've got to be making some mistake in the calculus.

Physics news on Phys.org
When the marble is dropped its initial velocity is the same as the elevator's velocity upwards.

Likes 1 person
edit: nevermind.

Be careful about the times. The marble is dropped at time ##T_1## and it hits the floor ##T_2## seconds later, i.e. at time ##T_1 + T_2##.

It seems like you are on the right track with using the equations for position and velocity with respect to time. However, it's important to remember that the elevator is moving at a constant speed, so its velocity is not changing. This means that the initial velocity (v0) is equal to the final velocity (vf).

Using the first equation you provided, we can set the initial velocity (v0) to vf and solve for time (T1). This will give us the time at which the marble is dropped.

Then, using the third equation, we can find the initial height (y0) of the elevator by setting the position at T1 to be equal to the position of the marble when it is dropped (which is 0).

So, we have:

v0 = vf = g(T2 - T1)

y0 = g(T1^2)/2

Substituting the value of T1 from the first equation into the second equation, we get:

y0 = g[(gT2^2)/(2g^2)]

y0 = T2^2/2g

Therefore, the height of the elevator at T1 is T2^2/2g, which is equal to 39.2m when T1 = T2 = 4s.

I hope this helps clarify the solution for you. Remember to always check your units and make sure they are consistent throughout your calculations. Good luck with your studies!

What is the purpose of finding the height of an elevator at T_1?

The purpose of finding the height of an elevator at T_1 is to determine the distance the elevator has traveled from its initial position. This information can be used to calculate the speed and acceleration of the elevator, which are important factors in understanding its motion.

How is the height of an elevator at T_1 calculated?

The height of an elevator at T_1 is calculated by multiplying the initial velocity of the elevator by the time it has been in motion and adding half of the acceleration multiplied by the square of the time. This equation is known as the kinematic equation for displacement (d = v0t + 1/2at2).

What is the significance of finding the height of an elevator at T_1?

Finding the height of an elevator at T_1 allows us to understand the motion of the elevator and make predictions about its future motion. It also helps us analyze the forces acting on the elevator and determine if it is moving at a constant speed or accelerating.

What are some factors that may affect the accuracy of the height calculation?

There are several factors that may affect the accuracy of the height calculation, such as measurement errors, friction in the elevator's motion, and external forces acting on the elevator. Additionally, if the elevator is not moving at a constant speed or acceleration, the calculated height may not be accurate.

Can the height of an elevator at T_1 be negative?

Yes, the height of an elevator at T_1 can be negative if the elevator is moving downwards from its initial position. In this case, the initial velocity will be negative, and the acceleration due to gravity will be acting in the opposite direction, causing the height to decrease. However, in most cases, the height will be measured as a positive value for convenience and consistency.