1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

K-Map Solution verification

1. May 10, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    -Posted in the diagram below-

2. Relevant equations
    -None-

3. The attempt at a solution
    I posted my solution below to obtain the prime implicants...however it's 3 implicants short of the suggested solution. What I don't understand is why are there so many redundant groups circled as prime implicants?

Shouldn't prime implicants be the largest possible group of 1s?
    For example A'B is redundant as all its minterms are present in other groups...and this is the case for a few others...so I gave it a try on my own and what I got is shown in the picture.

It also didn't consider A'B and BD as essential implicants even though they have the don't care which is considered as 1 in this case that are not covered any other prime implicants

Also what do they mean by minimum cover???

Thanks

This is my solution:
    20160510_171031.jpg

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2016 #2

donpacino

Gold Member

It looks like the problem is giving you many different possible ways to compelte the Kmap.

I think you need to figure out which ones are needed and which arent. In short, it looks like you took the right steps, now you simply need to answer the qeustion asked.

the minimum cover is the smallest number of arguments needed to complete the function.

hint: you can get rid of one of your arguments.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted