1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

K System Question

1. Oct 26, 2005 #1
    OK, I have this homework problem that I need some help solving . The question is as follows:

Consider two events that take place at different points in the K system at the same instant t. If these two points are seperated by a distance delta-x, show that the events are not simultaneous in K' (which has a relative velocity v) and find the time interval delta-t' between them.

I figure some of you have had courses where this material was covered in detail and have a firm understanding of how to derive the necessary formulas to prove the case. My teacher skimmed this material yet expects us to understand how to answer this question. I am starting to check various sources to figure it out, I just though it would help to get a little insight into other people's ways of solving problems. Thanks for any help you can provide.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2005 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Lorentz Transformations

Look up the Lorentz transformations, which provide a recipe for translating space and time measurements between moving frames.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?