Maximizing Accuracy in K Type Thermocouple Measurements

In summary, the conversation discusses the accuracy of K Type thermocouples and raises questions about the probe configuration, discrepancies in accuracy between different priced probes, and compatibility with existing probes. The thermocouple being considered has an accuracy of ±(0,05% v.Mw. + 0,3°C) and a temperature resolution of 0,1°C. The expert in the conversation shares their experience and explains that the main source of error in temperature measurement is not the thermocouple itself, but rather how it is attached to the target and the quality of the reference temperature. The conversation concludes with the expert offering their opinion that the thermocouple probe is not the biggest source of error in the system.
fictionx
Hello all,

I'm looking to buy an accurate K Type thermocouple and I have a couple questions concerning accuracy before I make my decision.
-If it is a K Type thermocouple, does it matter how the probe is configured? e.g. length etc.?
-Is there any discrepency in accuracy between different priced probes? (assuming they are all K type)
-If I already have a K Type probe will that have no problem matching the new thermocouple?

FYI here is the thermocouple I am looking at buying:
The accuracy is ±(0,05% v.Mw. + 0,3°C)
and the temperature resolution is 0,1°C

Thank you in advance,
fictionx

Engineering news on Phys.org
For my expericence, the accuracy of thermocouple measure system (including sensor, record) are always >0.5℃ even after calibration.

And the main error for temperature measure is not the sensor self, but the way how stick it to target and which size of thermocouple you used (for small source, the thermocouple has notable "heatsink effect", which decrease the source temperature)

I have worked with K type thermocouple instruments. As far as I know the temp accuracy of the thermocouple wire should be as consistent as the thermocouple wire is pure. A length of K type wire with one end having the wires shorted will generate a voltage at the open end of the wire based on the difference in temp from one end to the other. It is NOT an absolute thing. It is a diffential from one end to the other. Sooooo, to get a meaningful measurement of the temp at the shorted end of the wire we need to know the temp at the open end of the wire (reference). This can be a significant inaccuracy in the system. If you have a thermistor with poor repeatability/accuracy to determine the reference temp then the whole thing is no more accurate than that crappy reference. Of course the small voltage that the thermocouple generates needs to be amplified. The linearity and accuracy of the amplifier can introduce more error in the measurement. In other words, I don't believe the thermocouple probe itself is the largest source of error. Maybe how it is attached to what it is trying to measure could be, but that is a different issue. Did this help?

What is a K Type Thermocouple?

A K Type Thermocouple is a type of temperature sensor used in scientific and industrial processes to measure temperatures ranging from -200°C to 1350°C. It is made up of two dissimilar metal wires, usually chromel and alumel, which are connected at one end to form a junction. When this junction is exposed to a temperature difference, it produces a voltage that can be measured and converted to a temperature reading.

How accurate is a K Type Thermocouple?

The accuracy of a K Type Thermocouple depends on several factors such as the materials used, construction of the thermocouple, and the temperature range being measured. Generally, a K Type Thermocouple has an accuracy range of ±1.5°C or ±0.4% of the measured temperature, whichever is greater. However, the accuracy can be improved by using high-quality materials and proper calibration.

How does the accuracy of a K Type Thermocouple compare to other types of thermocouples?

K Type Thermocouples are known for their wide temperature range and high accuracy compared to other types of thermocouples. For example, Type J thermocouples have an accuracy of ±2.2°C or ±0.75% of the measured temperature, while Type T thermocouples have an accuracy of ±1°C or ±0.75% of the measured temperature. Therefore, K Type Thermocouples are often preferred for high-temperature applications where accuracy is crucial.

What factors can affect the accuracy of a K Type Thermocouple?

The accuracy of a K Type Thermocouple can be affected by several factors, including the quality of the materials used, the construction of the thermocouple, and the method of calibration. Additionally, factors such as electromagnetic interference, temperature gradients, and aging of the thermocouple can also impact its accuracy. It is essential to regularly calibrate and maintain K Type Thermocouples to ensure accurate temperature readings.

How can the accuracy of a K Type Thermocouple be improved?

The accuracy of a K Type Thermocouple can be improved by using high-quality materials, proper construction techniques, and regular calibration. Additionally, using a reference thermometer or a secondary temperature standard to compare readings can help identify and correct any discrepancies. It is also crucial to minimize interference and maintain proper installation and handling of the thermocouple to improve accuracy.