Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

K41 Kolmogorov scaling relation and structure functions (turbulence)

1. Jan 16, 2013 #1
    Hi there.

I am having trouble interpreting the Kolmogorov K41 scaling relation for homogeneous and isotropic turbulence:

[itex]S_{p}(l)[/itex] = <[itex]\delta u(l)^{p}[/itex]> = <[itex]|u(r+l) - u(r)|^{p}[/itex]> [itex]\propto[/itex] ([itex]\epsilon l[/itex])[itex]^{p/3}[/itex]

where [itex]l[/itex] is the length of displacement between two points under consideration in the flow, [itex]\epsilon[/itex] is the mean energy dissipation, and [itex]u(r)[/itex] is the velocity at point [itex]r[/itex] in the flow.

My question is:
    Since we assume the flow to be homogeneous and isotropic in a statistically averaged sense (fully developed turbulence), how come <[itex]\delta u(l)^{p}[/itex]> is not zero? If the turbulent flow is homogeneous and isotropic on average, then the (averaged) flow in the two point should be similar? I cannot see the [itex]l[/itex]-dependence in my mental picture of this situation?

Regards Nicholas.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted