How does C affect molecular magnetism according to Olivier Kahn's book?

In summary, the book "Molecular Magnetism" by Olivier Kahn discusses the equation \chi=C\sum_{M_S=-S}^{+S}\frac{{M_S}^2}{2S+1}, which leads to \chi=\frac{C}{3}S(S+1). The value of C is defined as \frac{Ng^2\beta^2}{kT}, where \beta is the Bohr magneton and k is the Boltzmann constant. The equation can also be represented as \sum_{k=1}^n k^2=\frac{1}{6}n(n+1)(2n+1). After struggling to understand the steps between the two equations, the
assyrian_77
I am going through Olivier Kahn's book "Molecular Magnetism". I am stuck on something that seems so simple. On page 10, it is stated that

[tex]\chi=C\sum_{M_S=-S}^{+S}\frac{{M_S}^2}{2S+1}[/tex]

The book then states that this leads to

[tex]\chi=\frac{C}{3}S(S+1)[/tex]

I've tried to figure the steps between but I can't get anywhere. What am I missing here?

EDIT: Of course, [tex]M_S=-S,-S+1,...,S-1,S[/tex]

PS. [tex]C=\frac{Ng^2\beta^2}{kT}[/tex] where [tex]\beta[/tex] is the Bohr magneton and [tex]k[/tex] is the Boltzmann constant.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\sum_{k=1}^n k^2=\frac{1}{6}n(n+1)(2n+1)[/tex]

[tex]\chi=C\sum\limits_{M_s=-S}^S \frac{M_S^2}{2S+1}
=C\times 2\times \frac{1}{6} \frac{S(S+1)(2S+1)}{(2S+1)}=\frac{C}{3}S(S+1)[/tex]

snooper007 said:
[tex]\sum_{k=1}^n k^2=\frac{1}{6}n(n+1)(2n+1)[/tex]
Thanks a lot! Of course, I didn't remember that summation at all. It's been a while. :smile:

1. What is "Kahn's Molecular Magnetism"?

"Kahn's Molecular Magnetism" is a concept in the field of chemistry that refers to the study of magnetic properties of molecules and molecular materials. It involves the use of techniques such as electron paramagnetic resonance (EPR) and magnetic susceptibility measurements to understand the behavior of molecules with unpaired electrons.

2. How did "Kahn's Molecular Magnetism" originate?

The concept of "Kahn's Molecular Magnetism" was developed by chemist Pierre-Gilles de Gennes and physicist Robert Sessoli in the late 1980s. They proposed the idea of using molecular materials as building blocks for magnetic devices, leading to the field of molecular magnetism.

3. What are some real-world applications of "Kahn's Molecular Magnetism"?

"Kahn's Molecular Magnetism" has potential applications in areas such as data storage, sensors, and spintronics. It could also be used in the development of new types of magnets with unique properties, such as flexible and lightweight magnets.

4. What are some current research developments in "Kahn's Molecular Magnetism"?

Current research in "Kahn's Molecular Magnetism" focuses on the synthesis and characterization of new types of molecular magnets, as well as the study of their magnetic properties and potential applications. Researchers are also exploring the use of molecular magnets in quantum computing and information processing.

5. What are the challenges facing "Kahn's Molecular Magnetism" research?

Some challenges in "Kahn's Molecular Magnetism" research include the development of more efficient and cost-effective synthesis methods for molecular magnets, as well as the understanding and control of their magnetic properties at the molecular level. Additionally, scaling up molecular magnets for practical applications remains a challenge for researchers.