Kaku, Quantum Field Theory Page 47 (2.68/9)

In summary, Quantum Field Theory is a theoretical framework that explains the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions, combining principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity. Kaku is an American theoretical physicist known for his work in string theory and explaining complex scientific concepts. Page 47 in Kaku's Quantum Field Theory is the beginning of an important chapter that lays the foundation for understanding the rest of the book. The notation 2.68/9 on this page refers to a specific equation and its part. While Quantum Field Theory is a well-established theory, it is still an active area of research.
Jimmy Snyder

Homework Statement

Here is equation (2.68)
[tex](M^{ij})_{ab} = -i(\delta^i_a\delta^j_b - \delta^j_a\delta^i_b)[/tex]

Here is equation (2.69) (abbreviated)
[tex][M^{ij},M^{lm}]_{ab} = +i\delta^{jl}(M^{im})_{ab} +- ...[/tex]

The problem is to show that (2.68) implies (2.69)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex][M^{ij},M^{lm}]_{ab} = (M^{ij})_{ac}(M^{lm})_{cb} - (M^{lm})_{ac}(M^{ij})_{cb}[/tex]
[tex]= -(\delta^i_a \delta^j_c - \delta^j_a \delta^i_c)(\delta^l_c \delta^m_b - \delta^m_c \delta^l_b) + (\delta^l_a \delta^m_c - \delta^m_a \delta^l_c)(\delta^i_c \delta^j_b - \delta^j_c \delta^i_b)[/tex]
[tex]= -\delta^i_a\delta^{jl}\delta^m_b + \delta^m_a\delta^{jl}\delta^i_b +- ...[/tex]
[tex]= -i\delta^{jl}(M^{im})_{ab} +- ...[/tex]

This is (2.69) times a factor of -1. Am I wrong, or is Kaku. If Kaku, then what it correct. I have tried to find this equation in other books, but without success. I was able to confirm equation (2.88) on page 51 using equation (2.87). Note the leading minus sign on the right hand side of (2.68) which is not found on (2.87).

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Your attempt at a solution is correct. The factor of -1 in front of (2.69) is just a convention and does not change the validity of the equation. Different books may use different conventions, so it is always important to double check the signs in equations when using them in calculations. Keep up the good work!

1. What is Quantum Field Theory?

Quantum Field Theory is a theoretical framework used to describe the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions. It combines the principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity to explain the fundamental forces of nature.

2. Who is Kaku?

Michio Kaku is an American theoretical physicist, futurist, and popular science communicator. He is known for his work in string theory, quantum mechanics, and his explanations of complex scientific concepts for the general public.

3. What is the significance of page 47 in Kaku's Quantum Field Theory?

Page 47 in Kaku's Quantum Field Theory is the beginning of chapter 2, which discusses the principles of quantum mechanics and their application to field theory. It is an important chapter as it lays the foundation for understanding the rest of the book.

4. What does the notation 2.68/9 represent on page 47 of Kaku's Quantum Field Theory?

The notation 2.68/9 refers to the equation number (2.68) and the specific part of the equation being discussed (9) on page 47 of Kaku's Quantum Field Theory. This notation is commonly used in scientific texts to refer to specific equations and parts of equations.

5. Is Quantum Field Theory a proven theory?

Quantum Field Theory is a well-established theoretical framework that has been extensively tested and confirmed through experiments. However, it is still an active area of research and there are ongoing efforts to reconcile it with other theories, such as general relativity.