Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kaon decay

1. May 13, 2010 #1
    Please see the attcahed image of K+ decay...

Question is - does anyone know how speculative this decay process is?? It just seems so far fetched.

Attached Files:

• kaon.JPG
      File size:
      24.7 KB
  2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2010 #2
    you can look it up in the particle data group booklet
  4. May 13, 2010 #3
    Yes, I saw it in the PDG mesons summary table, albeit without a feynman diagram. The feynman diagram shows everything between the up (at the top of the diagram) and the anti-up (at the bottom) comming from a w+ boson, half of it from a subsequent massive decay from a gluon. Being naive, it seems a bit much for nature to do.

My actual question is, does anyone know of any arlternative routes to this decay that have been proposed??? All of my searches keep comming back to this one.

5. May 13, 2010 #4
    everything that is possible will occur if we wait long enough

recall that that is just one diagram in the full perturbation expansion of the scattering matrix, nature does not "calculate" decays with perturbation theory and feynman diagrams I think ;- )
  6. May 13, 2010 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

What don't you like about this? why do you think it is "too much for nature to do"? (And remember, this only happens about 5% of the time)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook