Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Kaons behavior

1. Nov 11, 2017 #1
    Hello, I am startfing to study kaons and I can not understand why (or how) We know that the decay process of k → 2 π is much faster than the K → 3π.

In the Griffits´ book he says that: The reason is the energy released is greater.

But I don´t get it.

Can someone explain me this issue a bit?

And, if possible, how could Gell-Mannand Pais predict the conversion between a K° and its antiparticle?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2017 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Have you read the whole book? Or only that sentence?

4. Nov 11, 2017 #3
    I am reading it... I am only in the 5th chapter.

5. Nov 11, 2017 #4

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

I think Griffiths's wording is a bit confusing. What he means to say is the following: Take the kaon in the initial state at rest. The energy is given by its rest energy ##m_K c^2##. To decay into 2 or three 3 pions you need more the ##2 m_{\pi} c^2## or ##3 m_{\pi} c^2## of energy, respectively. Thus the available phase space (in terms of the pions' three momenta) is much larger for the decay into 2 than 3 pions, and thus the lifetimes of the CP eigenstates ##K_s## and ##K_l## ("K short" and "K long") are quite different: ##\tau_s=0.895 \cdot 10^{-10} \text{s}## and ##\tau_l=5.11 \cdot 10^{-8} \text{s}## as written in Griffiths's book.

6. Nov 11, 2017 #5
    It´s great! thank you!

And about the conversion between the K° and its antiparticle, how can be predicted such phenomenom?

7. Nov 11, 2017 #6

ChrisVer

Gold Member

the question is unclear. Do you mean how one can measure this? or how it can happen?

8. Nov 12, 2017 #7

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Well, both the ##\mathrm{K}^0## and the ##\overline{\mathrm{K}^0}## can decay to two pions. Now think of this process in terms of Feynman diagrams, it's pretty clear that you can built a loop diagram where a ##\mathrm{K}^0## is converted to a ##\overline{\mathrm{K}^0}##. For a very nice treatment within quantum mechanics (applying the famous Wigner-Weisskopf approximation), including the important discovery of CP violation in the neutral-kaons system (Nobel to Cronin and Fitch 1964) see

O. Nachtmann, Elementary Particle Physics - Concepts and Phenomenology, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg, New York, London, Paris, Tokyo, 1990.

9. Nov 12, 2017 #8

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

See Figure 4.12 in Griffiths. This is why I asked you if you were working through the whole thing. Each chapter builds on the ones before it. You can't jump around and learn the material.

10. Nov 12, 2017 #9
    Yes, I did not understand when I saw for first time, but now I have completely understood.

Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted