1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Karate Punch

1. Apr 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am working on a physics project about karate, and I want to know how fast I would have to punch to break a practice concrete slab.

I know that the slab requires 1900 newtons to break. I also know that my arm has an approximate mass of 8.4 kg. I also know that my arm is about 80 cm long, which is basically the distance my punch will travel.

2. Relevant equations

F = ma

3. The attempt at a solution

If I simply use F = ma, it tells me that I must punch at 226 m/s to break the concrete...that doesn't seem right to be. I know I'm probably oversimplifying the problem...could someone point me in the right direction?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not just the mass of the hand/arm if there is muscle power behind it at impact
    I think you might have to consider the area of the impact, the concrete has a maximum stress (force/area=pressure) that might be more important than the ulitmate load

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook