Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Karl Rove and US politics

1. Aug 13, 2007 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In honor of the man who lowered the bar for decency in American politics as much as anyone that I can remember: Good riddance!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2007 #2
    Did anyone ever see the MC Rove Youtube clip ?

marlon

4. Aug 14, 2007 #3
    Needless to say, I do not think he resigned because he wants to spend more time with his family.

5. Aug 14, 2007 #4
  6. Aug 14, 2007 #5

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Damage is done.

Goodbye anyway.

7. Aug 14, 2007 #6

turbo

Gold Member

Much of it will linger. Republicans sent certified mail to the residences of foreign-deployed soldiers in heavily-minority areas, and when they could not sign for the mail, they used this as "evidence" that the soldiers' addresses were invalid and got them removed from voting rolls, so they could not get absentee ballots and vote. You may want to Google on "caging lists" to see how this works. In heavily Republican districts in Ohio in the last election, waits to vote were short and sweet, while people in districts heavily populated by minorities often had to wait 8-10 hours or more to vote and had their eligibility to vote challenged when they got to the head of the line. Rove and his minions turned election theft into a high art, and their methodology and organizational structure is still in place, ready to pervert the next election unless our elected officials pull their heads out of their butts and clean things up.

8. Aug 14, 2007 #7

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

He lowered the bar more than Lee Atwater? Believe it or not, I think it's a toss up as to which was the dirtiest campaigner in election history. Perhaps you could give the nod to Rove, since his influence extended beyond just the campaigns.

I think it's safe to say that both Rove and Atwater managed to lower the bar below what their mentor, Donald Segretti, managed to do. Segretti was small time with little imagination. Forged campaign literature (meant to embarrass Democratic candidates) got him a three year sentence (of which he only served 6 months), but it lacks the creativity of Atwater and Rove.

Getting caught probably makes Segretti inferior to Rove and Atwater, but, actually, Rove got caught for stealing Democratic campaign letterhead while in college - he just didn't get any jail time for it. He and some other college Republicans used the stolen letterhead to invite the homeless to a Democratic fundraiser, which is actually kind of funny. Then Rove dropped out of college to pursue a career of dirty political tricks.

9. Aug 14, 2007 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Of course his real goal was to make everyone a Republican. :rolleyes:

Nut... I guess that in principle it is possible to govern with 50.1% for starters, but you need a winning team to do it - the skill to build a true consensus. But Rove did it his way. He achieved nearly everything that he ever dreamed, and the Republicans will likely pay the price for at least a decade, and they deserve everything they get.

I wonder what the Bush presidency would look like without 911.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?