Karl Rove and the Consequences of Partisan Politics

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    politics
In summary, Republicans sent certified mail to the residences of foreign-deployed soldiers in heavily-minority areas, and when they could not sign for the mail, they used this as "evidence" that the soldiers' addresses were invalid and got them removed from voting rolls, so they could not get absentee ballots and vote.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
In honor of the man who lowered the bar for decency in American politics as much as anyone that I can remember: Good riddance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Did anyone ever see the MC Rove Youtube clip ?

marlon

Needless to say, I do not think he resigned because he wants to spend more time with his family.

http://www.comedycentral.com/shows/the_daily_show/index.jhtml

the daily show's goodbye to rove. watch "where's my karl" and "the departed." the departed is hilarious :biggrin:

Damage is done.

Goodbye anyway.

Chi Meson said:
Damage is done.

Goodbye anyway.
Much of it will linger. Republicans sent certified mail to the residences of foreign-deployed soldiers in heavily-minority areas, and when they could not sign for the mail, they used this as "evidence" that the soldiers' addresses were invalid and got them removed from voting rolls, so they could not get absentee ballots and vote. You may want to Google on "caging lists" to see how this works. In heavily Republican districts in Ohio in the last election, waits to vote were short and sweet, while people in districts heavily populated by minorities often had to wait 8-10 hours or more to vote and had their eligibility to vote challenged when they got to the head of the line. Rove and his minions turned election theft into a high art, and their methodology and organizational structure is still in place, ready to pervert the next election unless our elected officials pull their heads out of their butts and clean things up.

Ivan Seeking said:
In honor of the man who lowered the bar for decency in American politics as much as anyone that I can remember: Good riddance!

He lowered the bar more than Lee Atwater? Believe it or not, I think it's a toss up as to which was the dirtiest campaigner in election history. Perhaps you could give the nod to Rove, since his influence extended beyond just the campaigns.

I think it's safe to say that both Rove and Atwater managed to lower the bar below what their mentor, Donald Segretti, managed to do. Segretti was small time with little imagination. Forged campaign literature (meant to embarrass Democratic candidates) got him a three year sentence (of which he only served 6 months), but it lacks the creativity of Atwater and Rove.

Getting caught probably makes Segretti inferior to Rove and Atwater, but, actually, Rove got caught for stealing Democratic campaign letterhead while in college - he just didn't get any jail time for it. He and some other college Republicans used the stolen letterhead to invite the homeless to a Democratic fundraiser, which is actually kind of funny. Then Rove dropped out of college to pursue a career of dirty political tricks.

Of course his real goal was to make everyone a Republican. :rolleyes:

Nut... I guess that in principle it is possible to govern with 50.1% for starters, but you need a winning team to do it - the skill to build a true consensus. But Rove did it his way. He achieved nearly everything that he ever dreamed, and the Republicans will likely pay the price for at least a decade, and they deserve everything they get.

I wonder what the Bush presidency would look like without 911.

Last edited:

1. Who is Karl Rove?

Karl Rove is a political consultant and strategist who served as a senior advisor and deputy chief of staff to former President George W. Bush. He is also known for his role in founding the conservative political action committee American Crossroads and for his work as a contributor to Fox News.

2. What is Karl Rove's political ideology?

Karl Rove is a conservative and has been described as a "mastermind" of the Republican Party. He has been a vocal advocate for limited government, tax cuts, and a strong national defense.

3. How influential is Karl Rove in US politics?

Karl Rove is considered to be one of the most influential political strategists in US politics. He played a key role in the election and re-election of George W. Bush and has been involved in numerous other political campaigns and initiatives.

4. What are some controversies surrounding Karl Rove?

Karl Rove has been involved in several controversies throughout his career. Some of the most notable include his role in the Valerie Plame CIA leak scandal and his involvement in the firing of several US attorneys during the Bush administration.

5. How has Karl Rove's influence changed in recent years?

Karl Rove's influence has diminished in recent years, particularly after the failure of American Crossroads to support Mitt Romney's presidential campaign in 2012. However, he remains a prominent figure in conservative politics and continues to have a significant impact on the Republican Party.