1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Karnaugh map for state table.

1. Oct 21, 2008 #1
    Derive the circuit that implements the state table

3. The attempt at a solution

I know you can get your equations for the circuit from either the table itself or through a Karnaugh map, but I prefer using a karnaugh map. How exactly would you set one up with a table like this? The only examples we've seen have had only 2 inputs (y1,y2), so they were 4 columns and 2 rows (w= 0 and 1). Not sure how to set up a karnaugh map with 3 inputs and w=0/1.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2008 #2
    since Y3, Y2 and Y1 depend on w, that makes w an input. You can construct a k-map for each output using 4 columns and 4 rows, so whatever you did to construct that 4 column 2 row kmap, apply the 4 column idea to the rows to get 4 rows. It doesn't really matter which inputs you vary across rows or columns as long as each column/row is only different by 1 bit from its neighbor.

Hope I made sense.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?