Katrina Fallout: Who Will Go Next

• News
  • Thread starter McGyver
  • Start date
In summary, with the resignation of FEMA head Michael Brown and President Bush accepting some federal responsibility for the inadequate response to Hurricane Katrina, there is speculation on who will be the next to go. Pressure is building for the mayor of New Orleans and the governor of Louisiana to step down due to their failure in pre-hurricane planning and communication with Washington. However, the lieutenant governor of Louisiana may be a potential successor. On the federal level, Democrats will continue to use the failed response for their political advantage, but with Brown's resignation, their argument weakens. It is unlikely that anyone else will resign, but there may be changes in the top brass of FEMA. The upcoming mayoral election in February and the rebuilding process may affect the political landscape
NO Police Super Gone, Mayor Soon to Go

By now, I'm sure all of you are aware of the New Orleans' police superintendant resigning. Now shocking news of corroborated reports (sorry I don't have the link) of police perpetrating crimes themselves. This will soon be front and center. I also saw an interview of a local reporter who described mayor Nagan as intricately involved in business dealings in the city, and this individual says Nagan's policies indirectly encourage corruption in the NOPD. The police super is described as reputable - and not involved in this corruption.

So - having said this - I place my bets that Mayor Nagan won't survive the now TWO investigations: Katrina disaster management, and new police corruption. Looks like we will see an intricate investigation into this NO tragedy.

Physics news on Phys.org
Non-scientific poll on AOL about response to Katrina - snapshot today.

How would you rate Bush's handling of Katrina?
Poor 41%
Good 28%
Excellent 17%
Fair 15%
Total Votes: 114,139

How would you rate Brown's handling of Katrina?
Poor 54%
Fair 23%
Good 17%
Excellent 5%
Total Votes: 112,964

How would you rate Blanco's handling of Katrina?
Poor 71%
Fair 19%
Good 8%
Excellent 2%
Total Votes: 112,841

How would you rate Nagin's handling of Katrina?
Poor 69%
Fair 16%
Good 10%
Excellent 4%
Total Votes: 113,286

The closer one is to the situation, the greater the blame, at least from the general public.

Astronuc said:
The closer one is to the situation, the greater the blame, at least from the general public.
I don't think that's true at all. I think people tend to pick the person at the top in most cases. This case is an exception but only slightly: Bush/Brown did get virtually all of the initial blame. But now that the dust is settling and people are having another look, they are realizing that while Bush may have seemed aloof, both Nagin and Blanco just completely lost it.

Regarding the police chief, without any statements by him or his superiors about why he quit, we have to give him the benefit of the doubt. Clearly the police force collapsed, but that may just be a result of the situation being beyond what they were capable of handling.

russ_watters said:
I don't think that's true at all. I think people tend to pick the person at the top in most cases. This case is an exception but only slightly: Bush/Brown did get virtually all of the initial blame. But now that the dust is settling and people are having another look, they are realizing that while Bush may have seemed aloof, both Nagin and Blanco just completely lost it.

Regarding the police chief, without any statements by him or his superiors about why he quit, we have to give him the benefit of the doubt. Clearly the police force collapsed, but that may just be a result of the situation being beyond what they were capable of handling.
This was brought up before at the time of Katrina. The polls never showed Bush getting initial blame, nor would many say that "Nagin and Blanco just completely lost it." as many wonder how many states/cities would fair any better. Here are findings of a poll dated Sept. 12, 2005:
Americans are broadly critical of government preparedness in the Hurricane Katrina disaster — but far fewer take George W. Bush personally to task for the problems, and public anger about the response is less widespread than some critics would suggest.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/HurricaneKatrina/story?id=1094262&page=1

russ_watters said:
I don't think that's true at all.
I was reflecting on the statistics which put the blame more on Nagin and Blanco at this point, than on Brown or Bush. But AOL represents a wider audience. I am sure if one were to ask the evacuees from the Superdome, they would be inclined to blame Bush, and perhaps Blance, over Nagin.

russ_watters said:
This case is an exception but only slightly: Bush/Brown did get virtually all of the initial blame. But now that the dust is settling and people are having another look, they are realizing that while Bush may have seemed aloof, both Nagin and Blanco just completely lost it.
It is certainly not clear that Nagin and Blanco lost it. They were apparently meeting with the National Guard, whose barracks had been flooded and equipment destroyed - and waiting on FEMA (an obvious disconnect there).

russ_watters said:
How about the National Guard who closed themselves off from the public? And how about FEMA which apparently actually and actively prevented aid from getting to the Superdome?!

What force would not collapse in the face of a major flood?

Some 250 police offices went AWOL - and hearings will be held according to officials. Some just lost it, others were probably terrified for the wife and kids, or elderly parents - we just have to wait to find out.

Actually, when I said "lost it", I was referring to their composure and their control of their own offices. Nagin was by far the worst of the two, with his cursing and babbling on the air. That isn't leadership and that is likely the reason why opinions of him are so low.

Blanco, I remember not being impressed by her leadership, but I can't remember specific incidents. I'll look it up later if I get a chance.

Last edited:
I imagine that Nagin and Blanco were under a lot of stress - thousands of lives on the line - and no help on the way. Not too many people (mayors, governors and presidents) can maintain composure in that situation - and perhaps without any sleep.

Has anywhere here been in a situation where someone is critically injured - and you try to help - while everyone around you just stands dumbfounded? It ain't fun.

NO Mayor and City Council Must Stand Down, Request Leadership

I now firmly believe NO Mayor Nagan and the city's council members must push for an executive leader (CEO as Congress noted) to be hired to come in and direct the rebuilding efforts - And the present officlas must in turn must stand down and not interfere with that executive leader.

After observing the developments now pre and post Katrina, one fact remains clear: neither the mayor, the city council, or governor's office is equipped with the requisite level of skill and leadership required to rebuild that region. Though the next elections aren't for several months, these leaders need to acknowldege when in over their heads. I truly doubt that even former NY Mayor Guiliani could direct this rebuilding.

NO and area leaders could save face and their political futures by admitting this fact, and requesting outside expert leadership. I'm not talking about FEMA, as FEMA already admitted it is not equipped to direct such an effort.

Take a cue: Stand Down and Request Professional Assistance!

Apparently New Orleans is the New El Norte for illegals looking for work. In the meantime, the taxpayers are footing the bill for the displaced while they search for work elsewhere. :bugeye: