Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kayak 6 DOE IMU Anaylsis Help

1. Jul 12, 2011 #1

VEP

Hello,

So I have a problem I can't quite get my head around.

The Experiment: I have different slalom kayak forms sprinted by an athlete over a timed 20m distance. The goal to see how different forms effect sprint peformance.

The athlete has a 3m start before the timing beam. He then sprints for 20m until he reaches another timing beam. So I know all the times to cover 20m. Some kayak forms are 10% slower than the control kayak form. Each kayak was run 3 times and the results were pretty consistent for each of the kayak forms.

I also have a 100Hz 6 DOF IMU attached in a consistent position on the front deck just in front of the cockpit to measure the kayaks movement.

The IMU forward acceleration data I have for the sprint is in G-force. I have multiplied this out by gravity and have integrated it twice to calculate distance travelled (displacement).

The kayaks which have the slowest observed 20m sprint times cover a calculated 20m (from a standing start) considerabley quicker than those which posted the fastest 20m sprint times. This is not correct.

I am thinking that when the kayak is sprinting there is a significant yaw component going on and as the IMU is aligned with the yawing kayak the true straight line path between A and B I am trying to calculate has a significant yaw component.

Has anyone come across something like this before and does anyone have any ideas on what maths would be involved to cancel out the yaw component to calculate the true straight line path between A and B?

I look forward to hearing your responses

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted