Troubleshooting kbhit() and control-C for Keyboard Input in Programming

• Thread starter timetraveldude
  • Start date
In summary, the person is experiencing an error when trying to exit a program using control-C due to the program exiting before it can execute the code called when kbhit() is true. They are seeking ideas for a solution and have also received a suggestion to manually exit the program by capturing the Ctrl-C escape sequence.
timetraveldude
I have a programming running that waits for keyboard input. The problem is that when I press control-C to exit the program I get an error. I believe it is because the keyboard was pressed but the program is exiting before it can execute the code that is called when kbhit() is true. Any ideas.<br />
<br />
thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
thanks

thanks for the help.

1. What is the purpose of kbhit() in programming?

The kbhit() function is used to check if a key on the keyboard has been pressed. It returns a non-zero value if a key is pressed, and a zero value if no key is pressed.

2. How do you use kbhit() in programming?

To use kbhit() in programming, you must first include the header file "conio.h". Then, you can use the function in a loop to continuously check for keyboard input. Once a key is pressed, you can use the getch() function to retrieve the key that was pressed.

3. Why is control-C not working with kbhit()?

Control-C (or CTRL+C) is a special keyboard combination that is used to terminate a program. However, when using kbhit(), the program is constantly checking for keyboard input, so the control-C key is immediately consumed. To fix this, you can use the signal() function to handle the CTRL+C signal and terminate the program.

4. How can I troubleshoot issues with kbhit() in my program?

If you are experiencing issues with kbhit() in your program, there are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot. First, make sure you have included the correct header file and have properly initialized the function. You can also try using a different compiler or checking for any errors in your code. Additionally, you can search online or consult documentation for tips on using kbhit() with your specific programming language or environment.

5. Are there any alternatives to using kbhit() for keyboard input in programming?

Yes, there are alternative methods for keyboard input in programming, such as the scanf() or getchar() functions. However, these functions may have limitations or may not work in certain environments. It is important to research and choose the best method for your specific program and programming language.