1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

KCL and simultaneus eqs.

1. Jun 4, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am struggling as usual with quite a confusing circuit i need to find i1 i2 and i3 in this circuit using kirchoffs laws

i know i need 3 loops

loop 1 is V1...ABCD....V1

loop 2 is V1...ACD.....V1

Loop 3 is V1....ABD....V1

2. Relevant equations

R1=.5 ohm R2=1 ohm R3=1ohm R4=.5ohm R5=1ohm

3. The attempt at a solution
    i have worked out loop1 to be

I1R1-I3R5-(I2+I3)R4 = 1V

but the other loops look wrong and then i cant seem to use simultaneus equations effectively.

Any help much appreciated

Attached Files:

• KCL.JPG
      KCL.JPG
      File size:
      12.5 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2009 #2
    I can't view your image until it's approved. If you'll upload it to a free image hosting site, and post the link here, I'll be able to view it sooner.

4. Jun 4, 2009 #3
  5. Jun 4, 2009 #4
    The currents you've shown are branch currents, not loop currents.

The circuit is an unbalanced wheatstone bridge. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheatstone_bridge

If you redraw it to look like a wheatstone bridger, it will be easier to draw distinct loop currents.

6. Jun 4, 2009 #5
    Hi Electrician

Thats how i initially approached the question i sent my workings out to my tutor who told me to seperate it into the three loops and then use simultaneus equations to find the unknowns,

when i did it initially whith the wheatsone bridge approach i got values of 1.5 1 and 05 for the various currents when i do the loops the values in teh equations are mostly .5's and 1s
    and are difficult to multiply out

7. Jun 4, 2009 #6
    Post a new image with the circuit drawn as a wheatstone bridge with 3 loop currents indicated. Show the equations you derived for each loop. Then I can help you.

8. Jun 5, 2009 #7
    ok will do!

thanks Ian

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook