How do you represent a dependent current source in a parallel circuit using KCL?

• Thread starter DaVinci
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kcl Kvl
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about representing a dependent current source in a parallel circuit using KCL equations. The individual asking the question made a mistake in their initial equation and was given a hint to help them solve it. The final answer was found by using a voltage divider formula.
DaVinci
Quick question that is throwing me off...

If you have a dependant current source in a parallel circuit, how do you represent that in your KCL equation? The one in this problem is Vo/2000.

I took that as I=V/R so R=2000. Since it is in a parallel circuit on its own 'branch' I used Vs/2000. But when I plug it all into the equations, the answer is wrong.

The circuit is this...

Parallel circuit with 4 branches. The following are the branches from left to right.

1. Dep. Current Source = Vo/2000
2. 6k ohm resister with + on top. (Marked also with Vs).
3. 1k ohm resister and a 2k ohm resister. Vo is indicated across the 2k ohm. The + sign is between the two resisters and the - is at the bottom of the 2k ohm.
4. indep current source at 2mA.

I took Vs to be the voltage across each branch since they are all in parallel and it is stated that Vs is across the 6k ohm resister. I tried to do the...

Vs/2000 + Vs/6k + Vs/3k + 2mA = 0

and then solved for Vs which ended up being 2V. Then used that to find Vo... except it is way off as the answer says Vo is 8V.

So, I am either screwing up the representation of the Vo/2000 in the equation or I am screwing up the entire KCL for the equation.

If someone could give a hint, Id appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your mistake was the V/R thing for branch 1.
Branch one is an dependant current source whose value is Vo/2000. No ohm's law trickery is necessary.
Therefore KCL at node Vs is:
Vo/2000-Vs/6000-Vs/3000+2/1000=0 (using your sign convention)
You can relate Vs to Vo by noting branch 3 is a voltage divider.
Therefore:
Vo=2Vs/3
I am sure you have it from here...

Yes, that did the trick.

Thanks!

1. What is KCL and KVL?

KCL (Kirchhoff's Current Law) and KVL (Kirchhoff's Voltage Law) are two fundamental laws in circuit analysis. KCL states that the sum of all currents entering and leaving a node in a circuit must equal zero, while KVL states that the sum of all voltages around a closed loop in a circuit must equal zero.

2. How do you use KCL and KVL to determine Vo?

To determine Vo (output voltage), you can use KCL and KVL equations to set up a system of equations and solve for the unknown variables. The equations will depend on the specific circuit configuration.

3. Can KCL and KVL be used for both DC and AC circuits?

Yes, KCL and KVL can be applied to both DC and AC circuits. However, in AC circuits, they are modified to take into account the effects of capacitors and inductors.

4. Is it necessary to use KCL and KVL to solve circuits?

No, KCL and KVL are not the only methods for solving circuits. There are other methods such as nodal analysis and mesh analysis that can also be used. However, KCL and KVL are useful for solving circuits with multiple nodes and loops.

5. Are there any limitations to using KCL and KVL?

While KCL and KVL are powerful tools for solving circuits, they have limitations. They cannot be used for non-linear circuits or circuits with time-varying elements. In addition, they assume ideal components and do not take into account parasitic effects.