1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

KCL / KVL to determine Vo

1. Jan 27, 2005 #1
    Quick question that is throwing me off....

If you have a dependant current source in a parallel circuit, how do you represent that in your KCL equation? The one in this problem is Vo/2000.

I took that as I=V/R so R=2000. Since it is in a parallel circuit on its own 'branch' I used Vs/2000. But when I plug it all into the equations, the answer is wrong.

The circuit is this....

Parallel circuit with 4 branches. The following are the branches from left to right.

1. Dep. Current Source = Vo/2000
    2. 6k ohm resister with + on top. (Marked also with Vs).
    3. 1k ohm resister and a 2k ohm resister. Vo is indicated across the 2k ohm. The + sign is between the two resisters and the - is at the bottom of the 2k ohm.
    4. indep current source at 2mA.

I took Vs to be the voltage across each branch since they are all in parallel and it is stated that Vs is across the 6k ohm resister. I tried to do the....

Vs/2000 + Vs/6k + Vs/3k + 2mA = 0

and then solved for Vs which ended up being 2V. Then used that to find Vo... except it is way off as the answer says Vo is 8V.

So, I am either screwing up the representation of the Vo/2000 in the equation or I am screwing up the entire KCL for the equation.

If someone could give a hint, Id appreciate it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2005 #2
    Your mistake was the V/R thing for branch 1.
    Branch one is an dependant current source whose value is Vo/2000. No ohm's law trickery is necessary.
    Therefore KCL at node Vs is:
    Vo/2000-Vs/6000-Vs/3000+2/1000=0 (using your sign convention)
    You can relate Vs to Vo by noting branch 3 is a voltage divider.
    Therefore:
    Vo=2Vs/3
    I am sure you have it from here...

4. Jan 27, 2005 #3
    Yes, that did the trick.

Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?