KE and forces and comparisons

• Thread starter jjbrinkman3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary: Not really, a human may be able to increase the force quickly and maintain his peak effort for a time before dropping off. I am not an exercise physiologist, so I don't really know how the human body can exert a force.I do know that if the object you are throwing gains sufficient speed I can no longer apply a force, since it is already moving as fast as I can move my hand.
jjbrinkman3
During a throw a shot is initially swung around in a circle reaching a speed of about 3.5 m/s?
during a throw a shot is initially swung around in a circle reaching a speed of about 3.5 m/s. it is then accelerated more or less in a straight line over a distance of about 1.7 m, leaving the hand at roughly 14 m/s. The shot is 7.26 kg.

what is the average force exerted on the shot during this latter part of the launch? compare this to the measured peak force of 600 N. Is that reasonable?

I think you use the equation F=W/d where W=667 J and d=1.7 m
this gives you 392.4 N.
Did I do this correct?
How does this compare to the peak of 600 N and is this reasonable?

Physics news on Phys.org
jjbrinkman3 said:
During a throw a shot is initially swung around in a circle reaching a speed of about 3.5 m/s?
during a throw a shot is initially swung around in a circle reaching a speed of about 3.5 m/s. it is then accelerated more or less in a straight line over a distance of about 1.7 m, leaving the hand at roughly 14 m/s. The shot is 7.26 kg.

what is the average force exerted on the shot during this latter part of the launch? compare this to the measured peak force of 600 N. Is that reasonable?

I think you use the equation F=W/d where W=667 J and d=1.7 m
this gives you 392.4 N.
Did I do this correct?
How does this compare to the peak of 600 N and is this reasonable?

Why do you think W = 667 J? Not saying you are wrong, just wanting to see how you calculated that.

Welcome to PH.

That all looks reasonable.

PeterO said:
Why do you think W = 667 J? Not saying you are wrong, just wanting to see how you calculated that.

I found the KE in the first part by KE=1/2mV2
this gives you 44.4675 J.

Then i found the KE of part 2 using the same equation which is 711.48 J.

Then I found ΔKE=KEf-KEi which gives you 667 J.

jjbrinkman3 said:
I found the KE in the first part by KE=1/2mV2
this gives you 44.4675 J.

Then i found the KE of part 2 using the same equation which is 711.48 J.

Then I found ΔKE=KEf-KEi which gives you 667 J.

That's fine, just wanted to check you were calculating correctly.

I think the question is drawing yo to the idea that the thrower [putter] will not supply a constant force, but one which increases from zero to a peak, then drops back to zero. That will partly be affected by the angle of your arm, and ability to apply force with your elbow bent by various amounts.
If the force increased uniformly, then reduced uniformly, the peak force would be double the average. How does that compare here?

PeterO said:
That's fine, just wanted to check you were calculating correctly.

I think the question is drawing yo to the idea that the thrower [putter] will not supply a constant force, but one which increases from zero to a peak, then drops back to zero. That will partly be affected by the angle of your arm, and ability to apply force with your elbow bent by various amounts.
If the force increased uniformly, then reduced uniformly, the peak force would be double the average. How does that compare here?

This is almost 200 N more than the peak of 600 N, so this answer is not reasonable. Does that make sense?

jjbrinkman3 said:
This is almost 200 N more than the peak of 600 N, so this answer is not reasonable. Does that make sense?

Not really, a human may be able to increase the force quickly and maintain his peak effort for a time before dropping off. I am not an exercise physiologist, so I don't really know how the human body can exert a force.
I do know that if the object you are throwing gains sufficient speed I can no longer apply a force, since it is already moving as fast as I can move my hand.

1. What is the relationship between kinetic energy and forces?

The relationship between kinetic energy (KE) and forces is that forces are responsible for changing the KE of an object. When a force is applied to an object, it can either increase or decrease the object's KE, depending on the direction of the force. For example, pushing a ball will increase its KE, while frictional forces will decrease its KE.

2. How is KE calculated?

KE is calculated using the equation KE = 1/2 * mass * velocity^2. This means that an object's KE is directly proportional to its mass and the square of its velocity. This equation can also be rearranged to solve for mass or velocity if the other variables are known.

3. What is the difference between potential and kinetic energy?

Potential energy (PE) is the energy an object has due to its position or state, while kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its motion. PE can be converted into KE and vice versa, depending on the forces acting on the object. For example, a roller coaster at the top of a hill has mostly PE, but as it moves down the hill, it gains KE.

4. How does the KE of an object affect its motion?

The KE of an object directly affects its motion. The higher the KE, the faster the object will be moving. This is because an object's KE is a measure of its ability to do work, which includes moving itself and overcoming any opposing forces. Therefore, the more KE an object has, the more work it can do and the faster it can move.

5. What are some real-life examples of KE and forces?

Some real-life examples of KE and forces include a car accelerating on a highway (KE and force of the engine), a basketball being shot into a hoop (KE and force of the player's arm), and a pendulum swinging back and forth (KE and force of gravity). These examples demonstrate how forces can change an object's KE and how KE can affect an object's motion.