Mass & Motion: KE, Momentum, & Constant Mass

In summary, the mass of an object is constant when it is in simple motion (no collisions and so forth). This implies that the derivative of the kinetic energy in respect to velocity would be dKE/dv = mv. If the equation for Kinetic Energy is KE = (1/2)mv^2 and mass is constant, then this would also state that the derivative of Kinetic Energy is momentum.
Gear300
In Classical and Mechanical Physics, the mass of an object is constant when in it is in simple motion (no collisions and so forth).

If the equation for Kinetic Energy is KE = (1/2)mv^2 and mass is constant, wouldn't that imply that the derivative of the Kinetic Energy in respect to velocity would be
dKE/dv = mv? This would also state that the derivative of Kinetic Energy is momentum. I also found from another source that when considering v and v^2, KE is not a vector, whereas momentum is. I'd simply like clarification (while considering things in terms of Mechanical Physics). If the derivative is true, then what is the physical relationship between KE and momentum?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When you are taking the derivative of the KE with respect to velocity, you are assuming that the velocity is changing. And the velocity changes when force is acted on the mass.

When a force is acted on a mass, it gives it an acceleration, and from that, it can have a momentum. The relation still seems somewhat vague to me. If a mass were to have constant KE above 0J, then it would have 0 momentum (if the mentioned dKE/dv was valid). But that seems unlikely, because if the velocity is > 0, then KE > 0 and p > 0. I'm assuming the derivative is not valid. I would assume it might have something to do with the acceleration, because if KE is constant, then a = 0.
So, I would also assume the proper derivative would be dKE/dt = mv(dv/dt), whereas, its in respect to time. Is this right? (and, in that case, why does the dKE/dv not make as much sense?)

Last edited:
You may regard the three velocity components as independent variables.

The "gradient" of the kinetic energy with respect to these variables equals the (vectorial) momentum.

so, each component is independent, and the "gradient" KE would be in respect to these variables. I see...somewhat. Can you elaborate?

Last edited:

1. What is mass and how does it relate to motion?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. In terms of motion, mass is important because it affects an object's inertia, or its resistance to changes in motion. Objects with greater mass require more force to change their motion, while objects with less mass require less force.

2. What is kinetic energy and how is it calculated?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is calculated using the equation KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity. This means that an object with a greater mass or a greater velocity will have a higher kinetic energy.

3. What is momentum and how is it conserved?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity. In a closed system, momentum is always conserved, meaning that the total momentum before a collision or interaction is equal to the total momentum after. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum.

4. How does constant mass affect an object's motion?

Constant mass refers to the principle that the mass of an object remains constant, regardless of its motion. In other words, an object's mass does not change as it moves. This principle is important in understanding and calculating the effects of forces on an object's motion.

5. How does friction affect an object's motion?

Friction is a force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact. It can affect an object's motion by slowing it down, as it acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion. Friction can also cause an object to change direction or come to a complete stop. The amount of friction present depends on the types of surfaces in contact and the force pressing them together.