Finding Length of a Pendulum from Kinetic Energy

• Thread starter Dante Tufano
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pendulum
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the length of a pendulum based on its kinetic energy and angle from the vertical. The equation KE=(mv^2)/2 is used to solve for the height, and the conservation of energy principle is used to find the velocity at the mean position. The final answer is achieved by substituting values and correcting an algebra mistake.
Dante Tufano
Okay, so here's the question:

The figure below shows the kinetic energy K of a simple pendulum versus its angle θ from the vertical. The pendulum bob has mass 0.320 kg. What is the length of the pendulum?

W0353-N.jpg

Equations: KE=(mv^2)/2
U=mgh
x(t)=xmcos(wt+phi)

I solved for the height by setting the max kinetic energy equal to the max potential energy, and got .004783, but I have no idea how to use the position equation to find the max velocity or what to do after that. Could I please get some guidance?

Physics news on Phys.org
when the pendulum is in it's mean position, you know that the KE is maximum.

So, find the velocity there. Then use the conservation of energy principle assuming that that the pendulum bob rises to a height L(1-cosθ). substituting v in that equation you get

L(1-cosθ) is equal some value. You know θ when KE becomes 0 from the graph.
substitute that.

Okay, so I solve for the velocity using the max kinetic energy and have a max velocity of .3062 m/s. I set L(1-cosθ) equal to (KEmax/mg) and solved for L using the θ value .1. However, I got the wrong answer, so can I get any more clues as to what I'm doing wrong?

Sorry, I made an algebra mistake! The values came out write after I punched them in again. Thanks a lot!

oh, haha
happy to help. :smile:

1. What is the equation for calculating the length of a pendulum based on kinetic energy?

The equation for calculating the length of a pendulum from kinetic energy is:
L = (2 * KE) / (m * g * h)^2
Where L is the length of the pendulum, KE is the kinetic energy, m is the mass of the pendulum, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height from which the pendulum is released.

2. How is kinetic energy related to the length of a pendulum?

Kinetic energy is directly proportional to the length of a pendulum. This means that as the length of the pendulum increases, the kinetic energy also increases. This relationship is described by the equation:
KE = (1/2) * m * v^2
Where m is the mass of the pendulum and v is the velocity of the pendulum at a given point in time.

3. What are the units for the length of a pendulum in the equation?

The units for the length of a pendulum in the equation are meters (m).

4. Can the pendulum's mass or height affect the length calculation?

Yes, the mass and height of the pendulum can affect the length calculation. The equation shows that the length is inversely proportional to the square of the mass and the square of the height. This means that as the mass or height increases, the length of the pendulum decreases.

5. Is it necessary to know the velocity of the pendulum for this calculation?

No, the velocity of the pendulum is not necessary for this calculation. The equation for calculating the length of a pendulum from kinetic energy does not include velocity as a variable. However, the velocity can be calculated using the equation for kinetic energy mentioned in question 2.