Calculating Kinetic Energy of a Rotational System with a Hanging Weight

In summary, the system consists of a 15 kg disk and a 5 kg weight, released from rest with the weight moving at a speed of 1.7 m/s. The kinetic energy of the entire system can be calculated using the equations for rotational inertia and kinetic energy. However, the incorrect formula was used for the rotational inertia of the disk, resulting in an incorrect answer. The correct formula can be found in a table in the textbook.
CaptainSFS

Homework Statement

A 15 kg uniform disk of radius R = 0.25 m has a string wrapped around it, and a m = 5 kg weight is hanging on the string. The system of the weight and disk is released from rest.

a) When the 5 kg weight is moving with a speed of 1.7 m/s, what is the kinetic energy of the entire system?

Homework Equations

v=[tex]\omega[/tex]R

I=[tex]\Sigma[/tex](m)(r)2

KE=(.5)(I)([tex]\omega[/tex])2

KEtotal = KEwheel + KEweight

The Attempt at a Solution

KE(wheel) = (.5)((15)(.25)2)((1.7)/(.25))2 = 21.675

+

KE(weight) = (.5)(5)(1.7)2 = 7.225

= 28.9 [This answer is incorrect though, I'm unsure as to what I'm doing incorrectly.]

Any help is much appreciated, thanks! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi CaptainSFS,

CaptainSFS said:

Homework Statement

A 15 kg uniform disk of radius R = 0.25 m has a string wrapped around it, and a m = 5 kg weight is hanging on the string. The system of the weight and disk is released from rest.

a) When the 5 kg weight is moving with a speed of 1.7 m/s, what is the kinetic energy of the entire system?

Homework Equations

v=[tex]\omega[/tex]R

I=[tex]\Sigma[/tex](m)(r)2

KE=(.5)(I)([tex]\omega[/tex])2

KEtotal = KEwheel + KEweight

The Attempt at a Solution

KE(wheel) = (.5)((15)(.25)2)((1.7)/(.25))2 = 21.675

This line is incorrect. It is saying that the rotational inertia I for this uniform disk is mr2, which is not true. There should be a table in your book that gives the formula for I for different shapes.

Thanks, :P. It needed that constant for a disk (1/2). Thanks for your help. :)

Glad to help!

What is the definition of kinetic energy in a rotational system?

Kinetic energy in a rotational system is the energy that an object possesses due to its rotational motion. It is dependent on the mass, velocity, and moment of inertia of the object.

How is the kinetic energy of a rotational system calculated?

The kinetic energy of a rotational system can be calculated using the formula KE = 1/2*I*w^2, where I is the moment of inertia and w is the angular velocity of the object.

Can the kinetic energy of a rotational system be negative?

Yes, the kinetic energy of a rotational system can be negative. This typically occurs when the object's angular velocity is negative, indicating it is moving in the opposite direction of its initial rotation.

How does the kinetic energy of a rotational system change with respect to the object's moment of inertia?

The kinetic energy of a rotational system is directly proportional to the moment of inertia. This means that as the moment of inertia increases, the kinetic energy also increases.

What is the relationship between the kinetic energy of a rotational system and its linear speed?

The kinetic energy of a rotational system is related to the linear speed of the object through the equation KE = 1/2*m*v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its linear speed. This means that as the linear speed increases, the kinetic energy also increases.