Determine KE-PE in Inclined Plane Lab Experiment

• Thread starter Link
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Experiment
In summary, the conversation discusses how to conduct an experiment to determine the transformation of potential energy into kinetic energy in a wooden block sliding down an inclined plane. The suggested method is to calculate the velocity and height of the block, using the formula mgh:mv^2/2, and then manipulating the variables to find the percentage of energy transformed into kinetic energy. The potential impact of friction on the results is also discussed, with the conclusion that it should not be included in the model. The conversation ends with the person conducting the experiment in 10th grade thanking the expert for their help and advice.
Link
I have to do an labwork on how to determine experimentally how much of the potential energy of a wooden block is transformed into kinetic energy when it is gliding down an inclined plane.
My question is, how exactly should the experiment be conducted in the simpliest way with as few equipment as possible?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just an idea, let it glide from the top to (close to) the bottom and calculate the time it takes for it to reach (close to) the bottom mark, this way you will have the velocity in the middle of the two points (since accelleration is constant) Then you have everything but the height which should be easily calculated.
mgh:mv^2/2
now you have v, h can be calculated and g is known, you should be able to get the relationship thus the how much is transformed into kinetic energy (%)

Do you think this method is accurate enough? Shouln't the friction be taken into consideration?

Depends, what grade are you in, have you worked with friction?
The method definitely isn't accurate but it takes little equipment and work, still it wouldn't be too hard to figure out (find) the friction coefficient and then include that in the model...
Then the experiment should be pretty accurate not considering air friction.
Also experiment with different angles on incline to see how this effects the relationship. Maybe the % is higher at a low angle due to lower velocity (lower air resistance) and so on...
All depends on how thorough the experiment should be and what you have learned so far

I conducted the experiment using some kinematic formulas and it turned out that i did not need to know the mass nor the friction.

The result is attached. I hope it is correct since it followed your method.

Thank you for the help!

I am in the 10th grade btw.

Attachments

• PEKE.doc
    43 KB · Views: 585
Last edited:
Yeah then my layout should be good enough I think, I hope your teacher likes it and I hope I didn't ruing the "make something myself" part of the laboration for you =)
Be sure to let us know how the results were so if they weren't good enough we can provide you with more advice!

P.S Just realized how stupid my answer to the role of friction was, since friction is the cause of a relationship between potential and kinetic energy (it does not equal) it should not be included in the model :P

Last edited:

What is the purpose of the inclined plane lab experiment?

The purpose of the inclined plane lab experiment is to demonstrate the relationship between kinetic energy and potential energy in a simple, hands-on manner. It allows students to observe and calculate the changes in these two forms of energy as an object slides down an inclined plane.

How is kinetic energy calculated in the inclined plane lab experiment?

Kinetic energy is calculated by using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity. In the inclined plane lab experiment, the velocity of the object can be determined by measuring the distance it travels and the time it takes to reach the bottom of the inclined plane.

How is potential energy calculated in the inclined plane lab experiment?

Potential energy is calculated by using the formula PE = m * g * h, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object above the ground. In the inclined plane lab experiment, the height can be measured at different points along the inclined plane to calculate the change in potential energy.

What factors affect the kinetic energy of an object in the inclined plane lab experiment?

The factors that affect the kinetic energy of an object in the inclined plane lab experiment include the mass of the object, the angle of the inclined plane, and any external forces acting on the object such as friction or air resistance. The initial height of the object also affects its kinetic energy, as it determines the potential energy that will be converted into kinetic energy as the object slides down the inclined plane.

How does the conservation of energy apply to the inclined plane lab experiment?

The conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. In the inclined plane lab experiment, the sum of the kinetic and potential energy of the object should remain constant throughout the experiment, even as the object moves down the inclined plane and its energy forms change. This principle can be demonstrated by comparing the initial and final energy values of the object and observing their consistency.