Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Keep blogs homework-free

1. Jul 8, 2008 #1

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

keep blogs homework-free!!

The blogs are starting to fill up with homework problems which nobody will answer.

One new blogger has even almost been put off by this:
    So could there be a warning notice on the Post to your Blog page, something like: "Please do not post your homework questions here, start a new thread in the homework forum, where everyone will see it"? :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2008 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Re: keep blogs homework-free!!

Blogs are for personal notes, poems, and stories, certainly not for homework or for asking questions.

4. Sep 24, 2008 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

disable blogging for members with zero posts?

The PF blogiverse is being cluttered up by PF members with no posts asking homework questions … which nobody answers! :rolleyes:

They don't understand that posting in the forum is actually far more likely to get replies. And they give up, and probably complain about PF. :frown:

It would be better for them if they were forced to post in the forum. :wink:

May I suggest that blogging be disabled for members with zero posts? :smile:

5. Sep 24, 2008 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Quite frankly, if someone isn't bright enough to figure out fairly quickly that the lack of responses to questions posted in blogs is an indicator that blogs are the wrong place to ask when we have a forum specifically dedicated to HW Help, then there are likely bigger underlying reasons for their difficulty in school than a couple of homework problems stumping them.

6. Sep 24, 2008 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Re: disable blogging for members with zero posts?

Some time you simply cannot save people from their own stupi.... er.... lack of understanding. Even when we have a clear HW/Coursework forum at close to the TOP of the forum list, and even with Stickies in the forum telling people not to post HW-type problems in the main physics forums, there are still people who managed to ignore all that. So if their intention is to get help, and they somehow think posting in their PF Blog is the way to do it, they'll learn soon enough.

Note that there are many who do "post-and-run", i.e. they don't come back. So where they post that one question really makes no difference.

Zz.

7. Sep 24, 2008 #6

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That would help. Doing a quick count, I found 6 out of 8 recent homework blogs were by members with 0 posts. Or we might want to wait until somebody has made some minimum number of posts too.

8. Sep 24, 2008 #7

I will look into posting a little notice.

9. Sep 24, 2008 #8

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Greg, what about the idea of a minimum post count for blogging? I think it would be good. Do you want folks to sign up for PF, only to use it as free space for a blog?

10. Sep 24, 2008 #9

It's a good one, but not possible right now.

11. Sep 25, 2008 #10

ok I've added a little "no homework" note. let me know if more drastic measures need to be used :)

12. Sep 25, 2008 #11

Evo

Thanks Greg, hopefully now new members will post in the forum where there is some hope of them getting a response.

Thanks to tiny-tim for bringing this up as the number of new members asking for help in their blogs was steadily increasing. I would occasionally wander in there and tell them to re-post in the Homework Help forum along with a link taking them there, but it was too time consumming to try to find all of them.

13. Sep 26, 2008 #12

Personally, I think that people might not be able to find the proper forum for homework help; I can't!

14. Sep 26, 2008 #13

Defennder

Homework Helper

Are you kidding? The second forum from the top is listed "Homework and Coursework ..."

15. Sep 26, 2008 #14

I know! For example, what if I had some Homework & Coursework Questions of a Engineering, Comp Sci, & Technology nature?

16. Sep 26, 2008 #15

Actually, my point was that I couldn't find a readily available list of forums, so could you be more specific?

17. Sep 26, 2008 #16

Evo

I agree Wecht, it depends on how you find this forum and if your first view is of the main page. If you are brought here by a search link, it may not be apparent, and I appreciate your efforts to help. We so badly need more people to help in the Homework Forums. I will take your feedback to the other mentors. Right now we are trying to find more ways to help our members that help in Homework, and input would be appreciated.

18. Sep 27, 2008 #17

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Er.. while it is true that someone could find a thread directly after a google search, that's not what one will see when one first registers to the forum. You will still see the main page, and has been pointed out, the Homework forum is listed prominently close to the top of the list of all forums here on PF. Someone who has never registered to PF and finding a thread directly cannot post on here, so the question of not seeing the full list of forums does not apply at all. Everyone who can post will have to register that first time, and that's when the full list of forums will be seen.

In other words, I see no excuse for not noticing the HW/coursework forum that appears almost at the top of all our forums list.

Zz.

19. Sep 27, 2008 #18

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There may be no excuse for it, but it happens nonetheless.

We could take either of two mindsets:

1. People should be able to figure out where homework questions go, so we won't worry about the small percentage who post them in blogs, or

2. Having a bunch of homework questions in the blog section is a problem because _______(?), so let's do what we can to stop it.

I put a blank above because I'm not sure how this impacts other users negatively. Do some people like to read what others are blogging about, and it's a nuisance to wade through all the homework posts to find a real blog? Does the "clutter" present some administrative difficulty?

Greg, could the "NO HOMEWORK!" note contain a link to the homework section? Something like:

Click here to post homework questions. Do not post homework in the blog.

20. Sep 27, 2008 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can understand someone getting a bit confused at first by the forum structure, and with the HW forums at the top, somehow mistaking all the other forums as "subforums" of HW help or something like that, and putting their HW into the subject forums instead, especially the first time. But, once you're registered and staring at the main index page, it's REALLY hard to get to the blogs, so you have to be working pretty hard to not look where you're going to get there and completely ignore the HW forums. Heck, I still get lost on the way to the blogs. It's one of the last places someone would stumble.

On the other hand, redbelly's comment is relevant too. Does it hurt anyone to have people writing HW in their blogs? For all we know, maybe they're not really asking about the HW question, but are using their blog to figure out how to format things with LaTex now that LaTex is enabled. I think the important thing, for consistency's sake, is to not RESPOND to the HW questions there. In other words, don't give people the impression that if they skip the HW forums, they're going to get specialized attention in their blog.

21. Sep 27, 2008 #20

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The way we're set up, getting to the blogs is much much easier than getting to the homework section. Blogs is the 3rd link that appears at the top of the page. And it appears at the top of every page in PF! Unlike the Homework link, which only appears on the main page (and farther down than the Blog link).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?