Keep fear alive - Rally to Restore Sanity

mheslep
Gold Member
I think it's quite telling that he was allowed into the United States. I trust those who were responsible for that decision know far more about him than we can gleen from a Wiki page, and found him to be benign.
Oh I don't doubt that Stevens/Islam is benign in the sense of participating in violence himself, he said that more or less 20 years ago. In the sense of contributing to and and apologizing for those who do take Islamic belief as a sanction to kill, I believe Stevens/Islam was indeed malignant at the time he made the comments; he remains so absent an apology (not a denial) and thus it is at least myopic and at worst a hypocrisy to have the guy appear at a "Restore Sanity" rally.

OmCheeto
Gold Member
Oh I don't doubt that Stevens/Islam is benign in the sense of participating in violence himself, he said that more or less 20 years ago. In the sense of contributing to and and apologizing for those who do take Islamic belief as a sanction to kill, I believe Stevens/Islam was indeed malignant at the time he made the comments; he remains so absent an apology (not a denial) and thus it is at least myopic and at worst a hypocrisy to have the guy appear at a "Restore Sanity" rally.

What is myopic is judging a man's character based on a 10 second sound bite. Which after listening to it, sounds to me like Stevens was just giving his interpretation of Islamic law.

What is also interesting is that it appears it was Rushdie himself who started the controversy about Stevens being on the show. Have book sales been sluggish? Perhaps he was jealous that he wasn't invited? Would Kareem have been obliged to pinch his little head off if he had shown up? I guess we'll have to wait for the next show to find out.

Al68
....Though reading the lyrics to Mr. Ozbourne's incomprehensible singing......
Huh? I can understand his singing just fine. It's when he's not singing that I can't understand anything he says.

mheslep
Gold Member
What is myopic is judging a man's character based on a 10 second sound bite. Which after listening to it, sounds to me like Stevens was just giving his interpretation of Islamic law.

What is also interesting is that it appears it was Rushdie himself who started the controversy about Stevens being on the show. Have book sales been sluggish? Perhaps he was jealous that he wasn't invited? Would Kareem have been obliged to pinch his little head off if he had shown up? I guess we'll have to wait for the next show to find out.
OmCheeto, would you care to reconsider this post?

OmCheeto
Gold Member
OmCheeto, would you care to reconsider this post?
no

for an explanation, google: rushdie stevens

just read the first 20 headlines

some are more entertaining than others

I consider Stevens to be a good man
I consider Rushdie to be a sleaze ball

unsubscribe

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
no

for an explanation, google: rushdie stevens

just read the first 20 headlines
Tried it. Didn't find an explanation.

Perspicacity
Tried it. Didn't find an explanation.

There isn't one. I think OmCheeto just really, really likes Peace Train.

I like how he basically walked off the thread—it's like someone insulted jesus in front of a nun or something.

OmCheeto
Gold Member
There isn't one. I think OmCheeto just really, really likes Peace Train.

I like how he basically walked off the thread—it's like someone insulted jesus in front of a nun or something.

Something like that.

Don't **** with my deities. I still am waiting for the spaghetti monster to come back and save us all.

resubscribe.

:smile:

But going to where I think the thread was going would in my mind send the thread into the mindless tailspin of religionosity. A place much frowned upon here.

The Rally to Restore Sanity was not about Rushdie, or Stevens, or religion, or politics.

It was about media madness.

The top 20 internet posts for: Rushdie Stevens (it may have changed since yesterday, and I was only interested in links since the rally)

Take the first two for example:

Nov 2, 2010
Rushdie: Stewart's Cat Stevens stance 'depressing' - Ben Smith ...
... The presence of the artist formerly known as Cat Stevens' was a dissonant note for some, who find it hard to forgive Yusuf Islam's backing ...

Nov 1, 2010
Big Hollywood » Blog Archive » Salman Rushdie on Cat Stevens ...
... According to Nick Cohen at Standpoint, Salman Rushdie, the author forced into hiding for years because of the Cat Stevens (Yusaf Islam)

Forced him into hiding?

Cat did that?

It was the Ayatollah that issued the Fatwah.

Ask any Muslim today what the rules are regarding a Fatwah.

And who wrote the book? Knowing full well what the consequences would be, shrouded behind a western wall of free speech.

Rushdie is a slimeball, or whatever it was that I called him yesterday.

On the other hand.

:wink:

----------------------------------
awaiting the obligatory ban...

dear god, whatever flavor of pasta you may be, please have mercy on my soul.