Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Keep off our tiny frozen island, Denmark tells Canada

1. Jul 26, 2005 #1
    Keep off our tiny frozen island, Denmark tells Canada Mon Jul 25,12:43 PM ET

COPENHAGEN (AFP) - Denmark protested against an unannounced visit last week by the defense minister of Canada to a small and uninhabitable island in the Arctic claimed by both countries.

Defense Minister Bill Graham stopped on Hans Island, north of Greenland, on Wednesday while on a whirlwind tour of Canada's Arctic military posts, to survey the barren patch of land that sits on the boundary between Canada's Ellesmere Island and Denmark's Greenland.

The dispute over the island, which is less than 100 metres (yards) wide, dates back to 1973 when the border was drawn between Canada and Greenland, which is part of Denmark.

Canada's ambassador to Denmark, Fredericka Gregory, was summoned to the Danish foreign ministry on Monday for talks.

"We said that we deplored the visit which was not announced to Denmark in advance, and we recalled that Hans Island has been part of Greenland since its discovery in 1852 during an expedition" conducted by Denmark and Greenland, the foreign ministry's chief legal counsel, Peter Taksoee-Jensen, told AFP.

The snow-covered site is uninhabitable, but the onset of global warming is expected to bring ship traffic to the region soon and open it up to mining, fishing or drilling for oil and gas.

Danes and Canadians have visited it often to lay claim to it.

etc etc

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2005 #2
    why is this a thread?

Edit: Oh hey, turns out Canada does have a defence minister! :biggrin:
  4. Jul 26, 2005 #3

Gold Member

Oh pff, bickering over something this insignificant? Just do what the US does and invade em. That'll show em whats what.
  5. Jul 26, 2005 #4
    Comic releif.
  6. Jul 26, 2005 #5
    I'm confused... who would invade who? :tongue2:
  7. Jul 26, 2005 #6
    They don't invade. they agree to meet in Iceland and slap each other over the head with frozen salmon until someone shouts "Sven"!!!

(I hear the Canadians are sending a ringer ... He's wearing a turban.:wink: )
  8. Jul 26, 2005 #7
    I don't see what the fuss is about really.

He just stepped out for ice.
  9. Jul 26, 2005 #8
    Yeah, them danes are picky bastards, won't let anything go.
  10. Jul 26, 2005 #9

So Smurf when are you heading off to war with the Danes? :rofl:
    p.s. Out of interest what sort of military capabilities do the Danes and Canadians possess relative to one another?
  11. Jul 26, 2005 #10

Gold Member

Whichever country finds a gun first invades :D
  12. Jul 26, 2005 #11
    That's interesting. I think I'll do an analysis.

My first figure is to point out that Canada has well over 5 times the population Denmark does. Not that this would be a factor unless they go to..... TOTAL WAR!!!!

Canada's military expenditure is 3x denmarks, while still spending .4% less of their GDP.

So, looking at the national statistics, Canada's won so far. But let's look at technology and standing military intelligence.
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2005
  13. Jul 26, 2005 #12
    Canada's in trouble

Uh Oh! Denmark's navy is gearing up for the invasion. We don't stand a chance against them!
  14. Jul 26, 2005 #13

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: And don't forget about the Norse gods they are holding in reserve :biggrin:
  15. Jul 26, 2005 #14
    I think you're safe in BC. They'll be kind of old by the time they row through the Panama Canal.
  16. Jul 26, 2005 #15
    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
  17. Jul 26, 2005 #16

Gold Member

Not like both countries don't have plenty of frozen tundra... Better start looking into buying land there because it's getting too hot in the southwest. But do I need citizenship, and if so, through what country?
  18. Jul 26, 2005 #17
    How much mining and drilling can take place on a 100 metre chunk of rock?

The debate doesn't seem worth it to me. I can run clear across the island in around 15 seconds, and for the world-class runners, in 9-10.
  19. Jul 26, 2005 #18
    It will get submerged when the oceans rise ... moot point.
  20. Jul 27, 2005 #19
    Ah, this is true now, but just wait until they're done mining and drilling.

Imagine. If we assume (as you have :smile: ) that the island's value is proportional to the amount of time it takes to run across it, then the more mining and drilling occur, the more valuable to island will become.

The only logical outcome is war!
  21. Jul 27, 2005 #20

I'd guess they are more interested in the fishing rights and the 300 mile offshore drilling rights that goes with ownership of this little piece of ice. :smile:
    These reasons were sufficient to have Britain go to war with Argentina over the Falkland Islands
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?