Keeping a gun safe at optimal temperature and humidity

In summary, if it is possible for air to penetrate the safe, having a fan blow on it will cause the air inside the safe to be closer to the humidity outside the safe.
JimmyJockstrap
I put in the dehumidifier inside a remington thing you charge up with power up.

Would you think having a fan blowing on the outside of a locked safe would have any effect on keeping the guns dry?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why should it?

It's a gun, not a cotton ball. Why would it attract moisture?

Why don't you put a one of those mositure sacks that come in clothes inside the safe to soak up any mositure and replace it every so often.

Get an airtight box for the gun?

I agree with Cyrus, get some silica gel packs.

K.J.Healey said:
I agree with Cyrus, get some silica gel packs.

x2. If it's a good quality safe, and therefore sealed very well, I doubt that a fan blowing on it would have any effect. They actually make silica desiccants for uses such as your needing...

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=183876

JimmyJockstrap said:
Would you think having a fan blowing on the outside of a locked safe would have any effect on keeping the guns dry?
If it is possible for air to penetrate the safe, having a fan blow on it will cause the air inside the safe to be closer to the humidity outside the safe. It'll negate the effect of the dehumidifier.

Cyrus said:
Why don't you put a one of those mositure sacks that come in clothes inside the safe to soak up any mositure and replace it every so often.
FYI, dessicants are temperature dependent - you can drive the moisture out by putting them in the oven.

There are several brands of desiccant packets and containers made for gun safes.
They do need to be replaced occasionally.

http://www.remingtonle.com/axx/safecare.htm

My house is pretty dry so I've never needed to use desiccant cannisters in my gun safe. I'm pretty good about oiling them lightly after each use, too.

If I lived someplace humid, I would definitely invest in metal desiccant cannisters that could be recharged by drying them in the oven. My problem is with my guitars and it's the opposite problem - I need to humidify the cases to keep the acoustics in top shape.

1. What is the optimal temperature for storing a gun?

The optimal temperature for storing a gun is between 60-70 degrees Fahrenheit. This temperature range helps prevent rust and corrosion on the gun's metal components.

2. Can extreme temperatures damage a gun?

Yes, extreme temperatures can damage a gun. High temperatures can cause the gun's metal components to expand, leading to potential malfunctions. Low temperatures can cause the gun's lubricants to thicken, making it difficult to operate properly.

3. What is the ideal humidity level for storing a gun?

The ideal humidity level for storing a gun is between 45-55%. This level helps prevent rust and corrosion on the gun's metal components, while also preventing the growth of mold and mildew on the gun's wooden parts.

4. How can I monitor the temperature and humidity in my gun safe?

There are various options for monitoring the temperature and humidity in your gun safe, such as using a digital hygrometer or a wireless sensor system. You can also purchase a gun safe that comes with built-in temperature and humidity monitoring.

5. What steps can I take to maintain optimal temperature and humidity levels in my gun safe?

To maintain optimal temperature and humidity levels in your gun safe, you can use a dehumidifier or a silica gel desiccant to absorb excess moisture. It is also important to regularly clean and oil your gun to prevent rust and corrosion. Additionally, make sure to keep your gun safe in a cool, dry area with good air circulation.