Keeping Bits Warm in Freezing Fog

In summary, when it's cold outside, you can use a space heater to warm up. However, be aware of the dangers of space heaters.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I got called into work today on my day off, and is was **** cold, it is freezing
fog outside and a max of 10c inside, how can i keep my bits warm ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Set your boss on fire and make him follow you around.

Reminds me of yomomma's quote in his signature.

Must I post here...?

wolram said:
I got called into work today on my day off, and is was **** cold, it is freezing
Evo<----knitting Wolram some bit warmers. :approve:

You just have to realize that 10 C isn't very cold at all. Perhaps a bit cool, but not cold (that's around 50 F for us in the US). Visit the northern US this winter, and that'll cure you of all delusions that 10 C is cold. Right now, it's about 4 C here (36 F or so), and I don't feel the need to zip up my jacket while outside yet. I used to live in Michigan, where the typical winter temperatures were more like -10 C to -20 C (roughly 15 F to -5 F). -10 C is what I'd call cold. When it hits -20 C, that's when I start calling it DAMN cold! Around -20 C is when I'd rather be hibernating for winter too, but I've been out in even colder temperatures than that trying to stick my hands under sheep's wool to keep warm while doing experiments (they don't seem to mind those temperatures at all...they keep quite toasty...I'm the one with 6 layers of clothes on).

Moonbear said:
You just have to realize that 10 C isn't very cold at all. Perhaps a bit cool, but not cold (that's around 50 F for us in the US). Visit the northern US this winter, and that'll cure you of all delusions that 10 C is cold. Right now, it's about 4 C here (36 F or so), and I don't feel the need to zip up my jacket while outside yet. I used to live in Michigan, where the typical winter temperatures were more like -10 C to -20 C (roughly 15 F to -5 F). -10 C is what I'd call cold. When it hits -20 C, that's when I start calling it DAMN cold! Around -20 C is when I'd rather be hibernating for winter too, but I've been out in even colder temperatures than that trying to stick my hands under sheep's wool to keep warm while doing experiments (they don't seem to mind those temperatures at all...they keep quite toasty...I'm the one with 6 layers of clothes on).

I agree, 10 C is just not cold.

Moonbear said:
50F that's cold around here.

Moonbear said:
I've been out in even colder temperatures than that trying to stick my hands under sheep's wool to keep warm while doing experiments (they don't seem to mind those temperatures at all...they keep quite toasty...I'm the one with 6 layers of clothes on).
It's like my Uncle Toby used to say, "Cold hands, warm sheep." Or was that Uncle Toby? Maybe it was Danger who said that.

yeah, its 20F here right now. i just started a fire in the fire place, and I'm cozying up to some physics homework

Get a space heater. Its pretty cheap. But beware of its dangers.

Math Is Hard said:
It's like my Uncle Toby used to say, "Cold hands, warm sheep." Or was that Uncle Toby? Maybe it was Danger who said that.
When I was out in -5 F temperatures, the sewer lines at the farm froze, so nobody could use the toilets...we were in the middle of a big experiment, and I was the only woman in the lab at the time, so I told the guys they should stop complaining, it wasn't as bad for them as it was for me; they could go pee in the snow or something (there was about a foot of snow on the ground at the time)...they all looked at me like I was crazy and every single one of them insisted there was no way they were going to expose any part of their body that important to them to that cold of weather. They were going to head down to the nearest gas station to use the bathroom if they needed it. :rofl:

Moonbear said:
When I was out in -5 F temperatures, the sewer lines at the farm froze, so nobody could use the toilets...we were in the middle of a big experiment, and I was the only woman in the lab at the time, so I told the guys they should stop complaining, it wasn't as bad for them as it was for me; they could go pee in the snow or something (there was about a foot of snow on the ground at the time)...they all looked at me like I was crazy and every single one of them insisted there was no way they were going to expose any part of their body that important to them to that cold of weather. They were going to head down to the nearest gas station to use the bathroom if they needed it. :rofl:
:rofl: well, you know, they had to protect their bits!

Wow, we just had our warmest night ever on record recently. The overnight minimum was just 28 degrees C.

Are talking about bring back the cods piece?

Old English,
cod-piece

A bagged appendage to the front of the close-fitting hose or breeches
worn by men from the 15th to the 17th c.: often conspicuous and
ornamented.

Wear a sock, as well as your pants :wink:

hypatia said:
Old English,
cod-piece
ornamented.

Don't you mean inconspicuous? ;)

/numerous Blackadder I episodes springing to my mind

Oh, and 10 degrees C IS bloody cold, and if anybody would care to disagree with me to my face I can't hold myself responsible if I set them on fire to warm myself up a bit :)

wolram said:
Wear a hat. Flannel-lined jeans, thick socks and a fleece pullover will help a lot, but until you see an IR image of a live person, you don't realize just how much heat you radiate out of your head, especially around the eyes, the forehead and scalp.

Hmmm, well i did say a max of 10c, most of the place is 0c to 4c, only the outer
corridors are at 10c, and when you have a multitude of evaporator fans blowing
a gale it is cold, and we can only wear those stupid mob caps/hair nets on our
bonces.
Evo, i will be eternaly greatful if you knit me some bit warmers, i am not sure about a cod piece, everyone would laugh, i hope you have lots and lots of wool
:biggrin:

So Wolram, perhaps you don't want my "back-yard" view from the mountain after all. It was some -6 C to -10 C here locally on the mountain at 950-990 meters elevation last morning. I've been doing the first snow shovelling earlier this week.

Just some guy said:
Don't you mean inconspicuous? ;)
/numerous Blackadder I episodes springing to my mind
Oh, and 10 degrees C IS bloody cold, and if anybody would care to disagree with me to my face I can't hold myself responsible if I set them on fire to warm myself up a bit :)
No I was thinking of sequin's and perhaps a tossel. Why not show off ? and it has to be more comfortable then a gourd.

Andre said:
So Wolram, perhaps you don't want my "back-yard" view from the mountain after all. It was some -6 C to -10 C here locally on the mountain at 950-990 meters elevation last morning. I've been doing the first snow shovelling earlier this week.

I guess the view is worth it Andre, i do wish that world wide temperature increases could be shared more equally though, what hob gobblin is pinching
our bit :smile:

hypatia said:
Old English,
cod-piece
ornamented.

Maybe Greg could start selling cod pieces with a PFs logo, that would show everyone that PFers aren't all brains.

wolram said:
I guess the view is worth it Andre, i do wish that world wide temperature increases could be shared more equally though, what hob gobblin is pinching
our bit :smile:

Okay, you can help me shovelling the snow then, it was about two cubic meters today but I helped neighbours. It's an excellent way to keep warm.

Here is my forecast for the coming period:

http://www.donnerwetter.de/region.hts?72469

and click the links:
:: zum Wetter morgen und die nächsten Tage
:: zum Trend der nächsten Woche

Several more cubic meters of snow coming up. :eek:

Last edited:
Andre said:
Okay, you can help me shovelling the snow then, it was about two cubic meters today but I helped neighbours. It's an excellent way to keep warm.
Here is my forecast for the coming period:
http://www.donnerwetter.de/region.hts?72469
and click the links:
Several more cubic meters of snow coming up. :eek:

Now you are talking, a few inches of snow usually brings the uk to a stop, i will
pop over and give you a hand as long as you feed me. :smile:

Great and congrats with your 2000th post.

Evo said:
Evo<----knitting Wolram some bit warmers. :approve:
I hope that you're using steel wool so he can plug them in.

Moonbear said:
You just have to realize that 10 C isn't very cold at all.
Remember that Wooley's a mechanic, though. Pulling wrenches in that sort of environment sucks all of your body heat out through your hands. It's one of the reasons I had to retire from the locksmithing business (arthritis).

Math Is Hard said:
Or was that Uncle Toby? Maybe it was Danger who said that.
Both, sort of. It was me, but I was wearing my Uncle Toby disguise.

hypatia said:
and it has to be more comfortable then a gourd.
I thought that we'd seen the end of that joke. :grumpy:
I tell you for the last time--that gourd was assaulting me, not the other way around. :grumpy: :grumpy:

wolram said:
Maybe Greg could start selling cod pieces with a PFs logo
Just remember to order yours printed in small caps. :tongue:

Danger said:
I hope that you're using steel wool so he can plug them in.
Remember that Wooley's a mechanic, though. Pulling wrenches in that sort of environment sucks all of your body heat out through your hands. It's one of the reasons I had to retire from the locksmithing business (arthritis).
Both, sort of. It was me, but I was wearing my Uncle Toby disguise.
I thought that we'd seen the end of that joke. :grumpy:
I tell you for the last time--that gourd was assaulting me, not the other way around. :grumpy: :grumpy:
Just remember to order yours printed in small caps. :tongue:

:grumpy: :grumpy: Hairy flea humping primate :tongue2:

:rofl: :rofl:
I''m going to have to steal that one.

Most importantly if the temperature is below freezing ,don't stick your tongue on the pump handle.:smile: I know, I know what is a pump handle right?:wink:

edward said:
Most importantly if the temperature is below freezing ,don't stick your tongue on the pump handle.:smile: I know, I know what is a pump handle right?:wink:
edward, tongues should never be stuck on extra cold things, it ruins the taste for the warmer things. :smile: