Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Keeping worms warm

1. Nov 17, 2007 #1

JPL

I am looking for suggestions on how to provide warmth to a vermicomposting box during the cold winters of upstate NY. I would prefer not to use electricity. It has been quite some time since I used my theoretical chemistry or physics, but was thinking there might be a way to create a low level exothermic reaction that would be safe for the worms and me.

Any thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2007 #2
    If you provide insulation and sufficient scraps, decomposition should produce it's own heat. How do you think this is related to "Atomic, Solid State, Comp. Physics"?

4. Nov 18, 2007 #3

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I agree with cesiumfrog. If you have seen any large compost heap during colder months, they can get up to 150°F. I have seen a ton of water vapor coming off of piles. The only drawback is that you need to turn the pile every so often to ensure complete mixing and letting oxygen get in to where it needs to.

5. Nov 21, 2007 #4

JPL

Thank you for the response!
    It was my hope that someone in the physics community would have come across a potential solution (i.e. exothermic reaction) that could help me.
    You are correct in your assertion about a thermophylic composting process; however when dealing with vermicomposting things a different. If you add too much waste to the "box" it will go thermophylic and kill the worms. This is undersireable!

6. Nov 21, 2007 #5

Chris Hillman

Science Advisor

So basically you have a temperature regulation problem. Have you thought of asking for help in your local biology department? I bet there are people at Langmuir Labs at Cornell who raise worms.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?