Determining Satellite's Altitude and Period Using Kepler's Laws

• Thread starter featherua08
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laws
In summary, the conversation discusses a satellite moving in a circular orbit around Earth and determining its altitude and orbital period. The equation T^2=(4pie^2/GMe)r^3=KeR^3 is mentioned, but the attempt to use it with G=6.67x10^-11 & Me=6378.1 was unsuccessful due to inconsistent units. It is suggested that the problem may have more to do with circular motion than Kepler's laws.
featherua08

Homework Statement

A satellite moves in a circular orbit around Earth at a speed of 4505 m/s.

a) Determine satellite's altitude above surface of the Earth.
b) Determine the period of satellite's orbit.

Homework Equations

I'm not sure about equations for the altitude, but I know the period has something to do with Kelper's laws &

T^2=(4pie^2/GMe)r^3=KeR^3

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt was to use the above equation with G=6.67x10^-11 & Me=6378.1
It wasn't right.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think this will probably have more to do with circular motion than Kepler's laws.

featherua08 said:
My attempt was to use the above equation with G=6.67x10^-11 & Me=6378.1
It wasn't right.
What units are those numbers in? You have to make sure the values you use are consistent with respect to units. Those numbers are not.

Frequently Asked Questions about Kelper's Laws Problem

1. What are Kelper's laws of planetary motion?

Kelper's laws of planetary motion are three scientific principles that describe the motion of planets around the sun. They were developed by the astronomer Johannes Kelper in the 17th century and are considered the foundation of modern astronomy.

2. What is the first law of Kelper's laws?

The first law, also known as the law of ellipses, states that the orbit of a planet around the sun is an ellipse with the sun at one of the two foci.

3. How do Kelper's laws help us understand planetary motion?

These laws help us understand the relationship between a planet's distance from the sun and its orbital speed, as well as the shape and orientation of its orbit.

4. What is the second law of Kelper's laws?

The second law, also known as the law of equal areas, states that a line connecting a planet to the sun will sweep out equal areas in equal times, meaning a planet will move faster when it is closer to the sun and slower when it is farther away.

5. What is the third law of Kelper's laws?

The third law, also known as the law of harmonies, states that the square of the orbital period of a planet is directly proportional to the cube of the semi-major axis of its orbit. In simpler terms, the farther a planet is from the sun, the longer it takes to complete one orbit.