What is the average speed of gas molecules in a given volume and pressure?

• Thread starter hatcheezy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gas Theory
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the temperature and average speed of a gas with a given mass and volume at a specific pressure. The calculation for the average speed is done using the equation Vrms=\sqrt{3(R)(T)/(M)} and the molar mass for HE gas is 6.65e-27kg. The conversation ends with a clarification that the temperature has already been calculated and the previous question about using 6.65e-27kg as molar mass can be ignored.
hatcheezy

Homework Statement

The mass of a single HE atom is 6.65e-27kg. You have 5.00e-6 mole of HE gas which is occupying a volume of 1.00e-4m^3. when at pressure of 100Pa. Determine the temp of gas AND the average speed of the gas molecules.

**I've found the temp of gas i need help on the avg speed - i believe I'm close

Homework Equations

Vrms=[tex]\sqrt{3(R)(T)/(M)}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Vrms=[tex]\sqrt{3(8.31J/mol K)(241)/(6.65e-27kg?)}[/tex]

i'm not certain if i use 6.65e-27kg as molar mass?

Physics news on Phys.org
hatcheezy said:

Homework Statement

The mass of a single HE atom is 6.65e-27kg.
Note it gives you the mass of a single atom

hatcheezy said:
You have 5.00e-6 mole of HE gas
This is the amount of moles present

hatcheezy said:
i'm not certain if i use 6.65e-27kg as molar mass?
After reading the above do you still think this?

ahh i do apologise i had not realized you have calculated the temperature, please ignore the post above

1. What is the Kinetic Theory of Gas?

The Kinetic Theory of Gas is a scientific theory that explains the behavior and properties of gases at a molecular level. It states that gases are made up of small particles that are in constant, random motion and that the temperature of a gas is a measure of the average kinetic energy of its particles.

2. How does the Kinetic Theory of Gas explain pressure?

The Kinetic Theory of Gas states that the pressure of a gas is caused by the constant collisions of its particles with the walls of its container. The more collisions that occur, the higher the pressure of the gas will be.

3. What is the relationship between temperature and kinetic energy in the Kinetic Theory of Gas?

The Kinetic Theory of Gas states that the temperature of a gas is directly proportional to the average kinetic energy of its particles. This means that as the temperature increases, the particles will have more energy and move faster.

4. Can the Kinetic Theory of Gas be applied to all types of gases?

Yes, the Kinetic Theory of Gas can be applied to all types of gases, regardless of their chemical composition or physical properties. This is because all gases are made up of particles in constant motion and follow the same basic principles.

5. How does the Kinetic Theory of Gas explain the behavior of gases under different conditions?

The Kinetic Theory of Gas can explain the behavior of gases under different conditions by taking into account the changes in temperature, pressure, and volume. For example, as temperature increases, the particles will move faster and therefore exert more pressure on the container walls. As the volume of the container decreases, the particles will collide more frequently, increasing the pressure of the gas.