Kenetics problems no clue how to slove can someone help?

• Thread starter dparent
  • Start date
In summary, you are trying to figure out how much x1 and x2 are together, and what the deceleration and acceleration were.
dparent
ok so I am new at the whole college physics course and I am having problems with this ?

"A cab driver picks up a customer and delivers her 2.00 km away, on a straight route. The driver accelerates to the speed limit and, on reaching it, begins to decelerate at once. The magnitude of the deceleration is three times the magnitude of the acceleration. Find the lengths on the acceleration and deceleration phases."

looks like it should be and easy ? but I am drawing blanks can anyone help?
thanks
dan

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you think of 3 equations in 3 unknowns that correspond to this problem ? Such a system is solvable.

thats the prob

the question what right out of the book

the only quantity given was the 2 km i know that the initial velocity is 0 of course but that isn't of much help.

x=1/2(v0 +vf)t
x=v0t + 1/2at^2

You don't really have the luxury of dealing with time. Try using 2*a*d = vf2 - vi2, and remember that the sum of the distances in question is 2.00km for the third equation.

Last edited:
well i have 1 more equation i guess but I am not sure how to solve

vf^2 = v0^2 + 2ax

would the final velocity be 0? i guess i still am not sure how to solve could you use trial and error to figure the distance?

technically if you were to accelerate for .5 km and decel for 1.5 km it would give u ur 2km but ya... I am not very good in the physics department

dparent said:
well i have 1 more equation i guess but I am not sure how to solve

vf^2 = v0^2 + 2ax

would the final velocity be 0? i guess i still am not sure how to solve could you use trial and error to figure the distance?

You're not just solving one equation for one variable. You're finding three valid equations that together contain 3 unknowns as well as data from the problem. If x1 is the first distance and x2 is the second distance, then you should get the three simultaneous equations v2 = 2ax1, v2 = 6ax2, and x1 + x2 = 2.00 .

is it possible to solve with the 3 unknowns? I don't no I appreciate the time you spent trying to explain it to me.
thank you

You're only interested in x1 and x2. Try substituting like variables for their equivalents in other equations in order to get an equation that consists of only one variable (either x1 or x2), then solve it algebraically.
For example, since the v's are the same variable (the maximum velocity) in the equations above, we can write 2ax1 = 6ax2.

k so i can get x1 alone by deviding by 2a so x1 = 3x2 I am looking for the 2 lengths still in km right of which the decel is 3 times the length of accel there for accel should be x1 + x2 = 2km .5 km? and decel should be 1.5km ? or am i just totally not getting what you are saying lol...?

1. What are kinematics problems?

Kinematics problems involve the study of motion, including the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects. These problems often involve using equations and equations of motion to solve for unknown variables.

2. How do I approach solving kinematics problems?

One approach to solving kinematics problems is to first identify what is known and what is unknown. Then, choose the appropriate equations to use and plug in the known values to solve for the unknown.

3. What are some common equations used in kinematics problems?

Some common equations used in kinematics problems include the equations for average velocity, average acceleration, and displacement. These equations can be derived from the three equations of motion: v = u + at, s = ut + 1/2at^2, and v^2 = u^2 + 2as, where v is final velocity, u is initial velocity, a is acceleration, t is time, and s is displacement.

4. Are there any tips for solving kinematics problems more efficiently?

One tip for solving kinematics problems more efficiently is to draw a diagram to visualize the problem and identify the variables. Another tip is to use the correct units for each variable and convert them if necessary. Additionally, it can be helpful to double check your solution by plugging it back into the original equations.

5. Can someone help me with a specific kinematics problem that I am struggling with?

Yes, there are many online resources and forums where you can ask for help with specific kinematics problems. You can also reach out to a tutor or your teacher for additional support and guidance.