1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kepler Orbits and ellipses

1. Oct 14, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am trying to see if I am on the right track with this.

The problem: A kepler orbit (an ellipse) in Cartesian coordinates is: $$(1−\epsilon^2)x^2 + 2\alpha \epsilon x + y^2 = \alpha^2$$.
    The task is to show that the major and minor axes are: $$a = \frac{\alpha}{\sqrt{1-\epsilon^2}} = \frac{k}{2|E|} \text{ and } b = \frac{\alpha}{\sqrt{1-\epsilon^2}} = \frac{L}{\sqrt{2m|E|}}$$

Well and good, I noticed that the general equation for an ellipse has that middle term [itex]2\alpha \epsilon x [/itex] but I could get rid of it if I just assume the ellipse's center is at the origin. Then I can say the general form for the ellipse is [itex]\frac{x^2}{a}+\frac{y^2}{b}=1[/itex] and go from there. When I do that I can redue the original equation to: $$\frac{(1−\epsilon^2)x^2}{\alpha^2} + \frac{y^2}{\alpha^2} = 1$$

Plugging in fo a (that is, noting that under the x is the value for a) I see I can make the denominator under x equal to [itex]\frac{\alpha^2}{(1-\epsilon^2})[/itex] which would make [itex]a=\frac{\alpha}{\sqrt{1-\epsilon}}[/itex] and I can do the same thing for b, getting me [itex]b=\frac{\alpha}{\sqrt{1-\epsilon}}[/itex] as well.

It's the next step I am a bit shaky on. Assuming [itex]\alpha = \frac{L^2}{mk}[/itex] I am not entirely sure how to get the last step. I was thinking that to get total energy (E) I would just add the vectors of radial and tangental velocity, and plug that into [itex]KE= \frac{1}{2} mv^2[/itex]. But I am trying to determine if I am in the right ballpark. It occurred to me I have to account for potential energy as well, though.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2013 #2

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There's something wrong here. I suspect you are supposed to show that the *semi* major axis (not major axis) is ##a=\frac{\alpha}{1-\epsilon^2}## (note the lack of a square root) and that the *semi* minor axis is ##b=\frac{\alpha}{\sqrt{1-\epsilon^2}}##.

The ellipse's center is *not* at the origin. Set y to zero in the original equation. This is not of the form (x-c)^2 = 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted