Plotting Two Masses' Orbit Using Ellipse Equation and Initial Conditions

• Thread starter ice109
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kepler
In summary, the conversation discusses plotting the orbit of two masses using the equation for an ellipse and a coordinate system at one of the foci. The necessary equations for this task are also mentioned, including the equations for the relative position, eccentricity, angular momentum, reduced mass, energy, and gravitational constant. It is suggested to plot r as a function of theta and to use the initial conditions to evaluate E and L for the plot. The calculated eccentricity is also mentioned.
ice109

Homework Statement

plot the orbit of two masses using the equation for an ellipse and coordinate system at one of the foci

Masses Initial Positions Initial Velocities
i mi x1 x2 x3 v_1 v_ 2 v_ 3
1 1 0.651 0.585 -0.238 -0.755 -0.828 -0.865 -0.726
2 0.931 -0.096 0.000 0.357 -0.209 0.107 -0.660

Homework Equations

[tex] \mathbf{r} = \mathbf{r_1} - \mathbf{r_2} [/tex]

[tex]r=\frac{a\cdot(1-\varepsilon^{2})}{1+\varepsilon\cdot\cos\theta};\,\![/tex]

[tex]\varepsilon = \sqrt{1 + \frac{2EL^{2}}{k^{2}\mu}}[/tex]

[tex]L=\left|\mathbf{L} \right|=\left| \mathbf{r} \times \mathbf{p}\right| [/tex]

[tex] \mu = \frac{1}{\frac{1}{m_{1}} + \frac{1}{m_{2}}} = \frac{m_{1}m_{2}}{m_{1} + m_{2}} [/tex]

[tex] E =\frac{\mu \dot{r}^2}{2} -\frac{k}{r} + \frac{L^2}{2\mu r^2} [/tex]

[tex] k = - G m_1 m_2 [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

so all i have to do is plot r a function of theta which seems simple enough. the equation for the conic section only has two parameters i don't know E and L. so from what i understand both are constant of motion so i was so i can just evaluate them at the initial conditions plug them into, the formula and plot? am i right?

to check i calculated the eccentricity: 1.11843. could someone check to make that's one should get for the relative orbit of the light one to the heavier one?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?

What is the equation for plotting two masses' orbit using ellipse equation and initial conditions?

The equation for plotting two masses' orbit using ellipse equation and initial conditions is:
x = a * cos(θ)
y = b * sin(θ)
where a and b are the semi-major and semi-minor axes of the ellipse, and θ is the angle of the point on the ellipse with respect to the center.

How do the initial conditions affect the orbit of the two masses?

The initial conditions, such as the initial position, velocity, and mass of the two masses, determine the shape, orientation, and size of the ellipse. They also determine the period and eccentricity of the orbit. Changing the initial conditions will result in a different orbit.

How is the ellipse equation used to plot the orbit of the two masses?

The ellipse equation is used to calculate the x and y coordinates of the points on the ellipse at different angles. By varying the angle θ from 0 to 2π, we can plot the entire orbit of the two masses. The equation takes into account the initial conditions and the gravitational force between the two masses, resulting in a realistic representation of their orbit.

What is the significance of the semi-major and semi-minor axes in the ellipse equation?

The semi-major and semi-minor axes are important parameters in the ellipse equation as they determine the size and shape of the ellipse. The semi-major axis (a) is half of the longest diameter of the ellipse, while the semi-minor axis (b) is half of the shortest diameter. These axes also determine the eccentricity of the ellipse, which is a measure of how elongated or circular the orbit is.

Can the ellipse equation be used to plot the orbit of any two masses?

Yes, the ellipse equation can be used to plot the orbit of any two masses as long as their initial conditions and gravitational force are known. This equation is a general representation of Kepler's laws of planetary motion and can be applied to any two-body system, including planets, moons, and artificial satellites.