Kepler's second law and Wikipedia article

In summary: Newton's theorem of areas showed that as long as the force acts radially, it doesn't matter how it changes with distance; an object acted on by that force will sweep out equal areas in equal time periods.Does this mean that the inverse square law is only a consequence of the radial nature of the force?
PainterGuy
Hi,

I'm sorry but I'm not sure if I should post it here or in homework section. It's not homework for sure.

This Wikipedia article, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kepler's_laws_of_planetary_motion, on Kepler's laws says the following under History section in the last para:

Newton was credited with understanding that the second law is not special to the inverse square law of gravitation, being a consequence just of the radial nature of that law; while the other laws do depend on the inverse square form of the attraction.

Does it simply mean that the law is not a consequence of inverse square law and even if the gravitational law was a linear relation instead of inverse square relation, the law would still work the same. Could you please elaborate on it? Thanks.

Science news on Phys.org
Yes that is pretty much what it means. Newton's theorem of areas showed that as long as the force acts radially, it doesn't matter how it changes with distance; an object acted on by that force will sweep out equal areas in equal time periods.

Likes Delta2 and PainterGuy
Equal areas in equal time can be understood as conservation of angular momentum. Any central force conserves angular momentum about that center.

Likes Delta2 and PainterGuy
Hi again,

I'm facing a problem which I'm trying to understand more qualitatively than quantitatively.

Please have a look on the attachment, or for hi-resolution have a look here: https://imageshack.com/a/img924/6138/hNTkVC.jpg

Equal areas are swept in equal times as Kepler's 2nd law says. In Figure 1 from the attachment, is there a fixed proportion between the time elapsed from X→Y and from Y→Z, i.e. XY/YZ=constant?

From looking at the figures, the relation I could see is around XY/YZ=4/2.

I understand that my question is too general and lacks any quantitative treatment so if you could possibly comment on it, I'd really appreciate. Thank you.

Attachments

• KEPLER2ND AM.jpg
    KEPLER2ND AM.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 441
No. Consider the case as the eccentricity of the ellipse approaches zero (the ellipse becoming a circle). By symmetry the two times must then be equal. Clearly then the ratio cannot be the same for all (closed) orbits.

Likes PainterGuy
Thank you.

Let me put it differently. Please have a look on the attachment. My confusion is arising from the understanding that time taken by a counterclockwise orbiting planet from G to H is T, from H to I is also T, and so on. In other words, the letters along the curve divide the curve into equal time segments. This way all the elliptical orbits with same eccentricity but with different lengths for major axis will have same number of 'T' time segments along the curve. I'm not sure if I'm correct.

To me, your reply suggests that as the eccentricity changes, the number of 'T' segments will change but my possibly flawed understanding assumes that the number of 'T' segments only remain the same as long as eccentricity is the same for the given orbit. Please guide me where I have it wrong. Thanks a lot.

Attachments

• kepler111AM.jpg
    kepler111AM.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 454
PainterGuy said:
Thank you.

Let me put it differently. Please have a look on the attachment. My confusion is arising from the understanding that time taken by a counterclockwise orbiting planet from G to H is T, from H to I is also T, and so on. In other words, the letters along the curve divide the curve into equal time segments. This way all the elliptical orbits with same eccentricity but with different lengths for major axis will have same number of 'T' time segments along the curve. I'm not sure if I'm correct.
That's fine, but keep in mind that the area of the ellipse can be carved into an arbitrary number of equal-area segments. So saying that different ellipses have the same number of 'T time segments' is not useful.

If, for a different ellipse with the same eccentricity you divide the area up into the same number of segments in the same way, then clearly the number of segments will be the same. However, for differently sized ellipses the actual value of T will be different.

To me, your reply suggests that as the eccentricity changes, the number of 'T' segments will change but my possibly flawed understanding assumes that the number of 'T' segments only remain the same as long as eccentricity is the same for the given orbit. Please guide me where I have it wrong. Thanks a lot.
Again, the number of segments shown is arbitrary, chosen by the illustrator to best convey the principle. You can divide any ellipse in the same way, so in that sense the number of segments is the same for all ellipses. But for any two ellipses, even those with the same eccentricity, the actual time associated with the segments will be different.

Likes PainterGuy
Thank you.

Could you please help me to clarify another point from my fist post?

This Wikipedia article, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kepler's_laws_of_planetary_motion, on Kepler's laws says the following under History section in the last para:

Newton was credited with understanding that the second law is not special to the inverse square law of gravitation, being a consequence just of the radial nature of that law; while the other laws do depend on the inverse square form of the attraction.

So, if the gravitational law was of any other nature other than the inverse square relation, elliptical orbits (or, perhaps, parabolic and hyperbolic) won't possibly have come into existence. Is this what the underlined statement roughly imply? Thanks a lot.

PainterGuy said:
So, if the gravitational law was of any other nature other than the inverse square relation, elliptical orbits (or, perhaps, parabolic and hyperbolic) won't possibly have come into existence. Is this what the underlined statement roughly imply?
That may well be an hypotheses that you could draw from the statement, but you would have to prove it separately to show that no other central force can produce those types of orbits. I doubt that the author meant to directly imply that though, as he was just commenting on what Newton's understanding was regarding Kepler's laws and their relation to his theory of gravity.

Likes PainterGuy

1. What is Kepler's second law?

Kepler's second law, also known as the law of equal areas, states that a line connecting a planet to the sun will sweep out equal areas in equal times. This means that a planet will move faster when it is closer to the sun and slower when it is farther away.

2. How did Kepler come up with his second law?

Kepler's second law was derived from his observations of the planets' orbits, particularly the orbit of Mars. He noticed that the planet moved faster when it was closer to the sun and slower when it was farther away.

3. What is the significance of Kepler's second law?

Kepler's second law helped to provide evidence for the heliocentric model of the solar system, which states that the sun is at the center and the planets orbit around it. It also helped to pave the way for Isaac Newton's law of universal gravitation, which explains the relationship between the motion of planets and the force of gravity.

4. How is Kepler's second law related to the first law?

Kepler's first law, also known as the law of orbits, states that planets move in elliptical orbits with the sun at one focus. Kepler's second law expands on this by describing the speed at which a planet will move in its orbit. Together, these laws help to explain the motion of planets in the solar system.

5. Is the Wikipedia article on Kepler's second law reliable?

As with any information found on the internet, it is important to critically evaluate the reliability of the source. However, Wikipedia is generally considered to be a reputable source of information, with articles being written and edited by a community of knowledgeable individuals. The article on Kepler's second law provides accurate information and sources to back up its claims, making it a reliable source for understanding this scientific concept.